Wind up

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wind up

So, can anyone tell me why beans always twist up anti clockwise? you try and wind them the other way and they won't....Do they wind the other way south of the equator? like correalanas(Sp) effect on water going down the plug hole. Asked my neighbour(physics doctor)-he doesn't know- haven't tried google... but is there a grape who knows everything!???!!!
    Last edited by Paulottie; 03-05-2007, 09:27 AM.

Paul I've read somewhere its to do with the beans following the sun or is it not following the sun.
    Can't remember which it is.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

it's "coriolis"

Not sure about the beans, but there is some debate about the significance of the coriolis force - some say that it has very little effect upon the whole plughole thing.

I'm sitting on the equator on this, myself

Comment

Allegedly beans grow round poles in a different direction in each of the hemispheres because they follow the light around the poles, but as I recently found out that the Coriolis effect doesn't work on your typical water draining from a basin (that's an urban myth ), I wouldn't be so sure.

Um - in other words, I don't know

Comment

Oh, and different plants twine in different directions, so I'm inclined to think that the Coriolis idea is fatally flawed

Comment

I've just emailed a friend who moved to New Zealand last summer I know they grow veg, so will post here once I get a reply.

Comment

The coriolis effect does not determine the direction of spin when you drain water. I theory it can, but in practice any number of factors (water movement, refresh direction, bowl shape & minor blemishes, etc.) have a far greater effect.

Beans? No idea...

Comment

Thanks for spelling CuteC. Good guess from what I put!

Okay Bren i've looked and it is non following sun direction?? which I find even more confusing

Comment

Just to add to the brew ! Whelks all turn the same way if they belong to the same species. Some species go the other way. So is it the hemisphere we're in or the species of bean we grow? 'And I think to myself, what a wonderful world!'

Flum
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

You're in a very musical mood today Flummery! Any particular reason?

My runner beans rotate in a different direction to my french beans - is this because 'them thar eurpeans' have to be difficult?
                    The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Trying to make it rain TPeers!
                      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

what about pasta?

Has anyone noticed that fusilli only ever twists one way?

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                          Trying to make it rain TPeers!
                          I'll join in!

"I'm dreaming of a wet garden....."
                          The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Quality cc, that did make me smile more than a little.

Comment

Keep singing, so long as it only rains at night while I'm in bed.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X