No announcement yet.

Sweetcorn Germination

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I grew mine in biggish modules so they could be transplanted without actually disturbing the roots. They had made strong roots and the whole thing just popped in the ground a treat. I'm wondering about investing in some root trainers for next year. I can see so many things I would use them for!
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by King Carrot View Post
      although they might be those little white worms I've found in horse manure before which are supposedly harmless and assisting the composting process.
      Oh, that's useful to know - I'd been wondering what those were for years, and whether or not it was sensible to add the dung to the compost heap. I'd assumed they were not worms but fly larvae?
      All at once I hear your voice
      And time just slips away
      Bonnie Raitt

Comment

I've just split my sweetcorn packet with someone else, so they'd better come up! I've planted 9 so far in modules on the ironing board in front of a window. That was last weekend, I was starting to think as none have come up yet. Now I'm thinking not too bad but I might put them in the airing cupboard. Thanks for all the good tips! I hope I can revieve them!

Comment

I bought a fresh packet of Swift and again have had pathetic germination rates. Must be a bad year!

Comment

must admit that 95% of sweetcorn planted has germinated, just done a 2nd sowing in plug trays outside, growing well, i always transfer them (known they say not 2 do this) but have never had no problems, i just shove them in and keep my fingers crossed, success up until now, hurray!!!!

Comment

Sweetcorn

I've had a near 100% success rate with mine (minipop and Quick Treat F1). I used those newspaper pots, and admittedly there's been a bit of whitish fungus. Unheated propagator, bright kitchen and keeping them moist, not wet.

The plants are thriving, although I wish the cats would stop nibbling them
              Never say never....

Comment

Just to update on my earlier post,

the furry mould on the toilet rolls ran out of steam & vanished after a week or so. The spotty mould also reached a peak and eventually died away leaving green spots , - both types of mould must have exhausted whatever they were feeding on in the cardboard tube and starved?

Anyway, I planted out 23 healthy sweetcorn plants in their toilet rolls, so no harm done - I might do it this way next year after all!
                Jiving on down to the beach to see the blue and the gray, seems to be all and it's rosy-it's a beautiful day!

Comment

Good news! I wouldn't worry about a bit of mould - you can get it on even decent composts if the temperature and moisture conditions suit it. As you said, it runs out of steam but your sweetcorn didn't!
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Well into the next batch of seeds now and guess what? 60% germination. I hate it when your always right Lesley! Oh well I've got about 90 plants now but a lot of mucking around.

I'm glad your spotty mould cleared up KingC..sounded nasty!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X