Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweetcorn Germination

Hi

I planted about 20 sweetcorn seeds in cell trays in the green house approx 3 weeks ago and only 3 have germinated!

I followed the directions on the pack! Has anyone got any ideas what could have gone wrong, or am I just being impatient and should wait a bit longer??
    Kermit aka Jade

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad

Hmmm sounds like you've got some dud seeds.

I planted about 30 seeds on Monday and already most of them have germinated - they're in an unheated proporgater on a sunny windowsill.

Comment

I planted 8 on sunday and one is showing its head already

Comment

I have also experienced poor germination when I have done everything right as far as I know? I am going to try again with some more but try to sprout themon kitchen paper first.

Comment

Can only say you may have dud seed or you are planting too deep. I have 14 out of 16 blue sweetcorn, 12 out of 16 swift f1. Planted bloody baron and minipop on Wednesday but none up just yet
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

I used to do mine like that with not brilliant results, then last year someone told me to put the seeds on damp kitchen towel somewhere warm; propagator, airing cupboard or warm windowsill. It's great, you get a much higher rate of germination and once they're sporting roots and shoots you just pot up. I tend to do this in batches and put the rest back for next time. I'm looking forward to a bunper crop this year. Actually I'm running out of room where to put them all till planting out time!

Comment

Mine germinated within a week in an unheated greenhouse. I would plant some more.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I have found that they can be very sensetive to drying out so do keep them moist. Other than that, it should be pretty sure thing.
                Darren

Comment

I worry about damaging the shoots by potting up after they,ve germinated so I'm going to try laying the seeds on top of damp compost in pots then when they germinate just add compost without disturbing the seed.
                  I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

I've had 15/16 germinate (going to sow more soon) and it took about a week. I grew corn last year too without bother. I sow mine about 1" deep in toilet roll inner tubes - not particularly for the root system (though it surely can't hurt) but because it's environmentally friendly and I'd saved them up for months and had plenty! Mine have also been kept moist.

Comment

Almost all mine came through within a week, but as I do with most large seeds, I soaked them overnight first. In your position I'd try again with fresh seed.
                      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Last year's were almost 100% germination, but this year's are not so good. Minipop about 50% germination, and Swift was pathetic. I've been out today and bought more seed - will let you know how they get on.

Comment

Hi

I planted my sweetcorn and they did nothing, so I looked at the seeds still in the packet and most of them were hollow.

Tigerella

Comment

Well they sort of are, aren't they? They always remind me of pulled teeth (yuk!). When you soak them they kind of puff up and fill out a bit. I don't think the hollow look implies the seed is duff.
                            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I sow mine in loo rolls,after soaking for 24hrs.100% germination in 4 days.Only problem is this time for some reason some have started to die off!I suspect grandsons poking fingers,as I let him sow them,and everytime he's been round he keeps fiddling with them.I'll have to replace them without him knowing!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X