Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parsnip germination

Yes this age old problem again.

I have been having problems getting them to germinate so I am trying the paper towel in a freezer bag method but have just one question

Do they have to be somewhere warm and dark or warm and light ie airing cupboard or windowsill?

I am determined to have my own home grown mini parsnips this year

Thanks

Hello Kimbo, I germinated mine in an unheated greenhouse. First lot took 3 weeks and second lot took 2 weeks, so they don't need a great deal of heat to germinate - just time.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
      Hello Kimbo, I germinated mine in an unheated greenhouse. First lot took 3 weeks and second lot took 2 weeks, so they don't need a great deal of heat to germinate - just time.
      Thanks Alice

Hopefully this lot will take, I have got 12 actual plants growing that I planted earlier but the last couple of sowings dont seem to have done anything and when they do th b****y slugs get them.

I am also going try one of my other greenhouse as that doesnt seem to be bothered by slugs/snails for some reason

Comment

Mine were on the kitchen windowsill so I could 'pot' them on as they germinated (into loo roll middles). They came through over a period of about 10 days.
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Just remember, parsnips are tap rooted vegetables, so if you're germinating in cells don't leave them there too long.

Comment

Hi

Ive got about 15 in loo rolls, first leaves only showing. How long do you leave them in the loo rolls?
            Ive also got a few loo rolls with about 5 seedlings in, would you just leave as they are or try to split them.

Tigerella

Comment

I'd get them in when the first true leaves show. They are only small but believe me, the roots will reach the bottom!
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Doesn't anyone sow directly into the ground? I have but only 50% have germinated...which is 50% more than last year!

Would you recommend sowing and then transplanting for greater success?

Comment

i've had pretty good success with out door planting this year.
                  they are in a 1 x 1m raised bed.Thet main problem was keeping the soil surface moist.I had it covered with plastic till they showed.
                  took about 2 weeks.Only one of the rows has a significant gap.
                  In the old days I used to sow direct into a bed & some years would only get stuff up on the 3rd sowing.
                  Warm & wet & fine soil with no pan on top is the trick.
                  Having said that next year i'll prbably fail to get anything up at all.
                  Jane

Comment

Originally posted by Kimbo View Post
                    Thanks Alice

Hopefully this lot will take, I have got 12 actual plants growing that I planted earlier but the last couple of sowings dont seem to have done anything and when they do th b****y slugs get them.

I am also going try one of my other greenhouse as that doesnt seem to be bothered by slugs/snails for some reason
                    Kimbo, I know a lot of people don't like to use slug pellets ( I don't like to use them myself) but in the greenhouse I sprinkle a few on the floor. They can't get into the food chain from there or be eaten by the birds or other animals and it does save your plants from the carnage.

Comment

Originally posted by Tigerella View Post
                      Hi

Ive got about 15 in loo rolls, first leaves only showing. How long do you leave them in the loo rolls?
                      Ive also got a few loo rolls with about 5 seedlings in, would you just leave as they are or try to split them.

Tigerella
                      Hello Tigerella, just leave the parsnip seedlings in the loo rolls and as soon as they have their first true leaves just plant the whole loo roll in the ground. Since you have real leaves now, just get them planted. The loo rolls will just rot away.
                      As for the loo rolls with 5 in - well - you could try to split them (I don't think 5 parsnip would do well in a bunch) but the object of growing them in loo rolls is to get long, undamaged roots as this is what grows into the parsnip. You can only try. Good luck.

Comment

I start my parsnips off by `chitting` them.

I place a layer of damp paper kitchen toweling in the base of an ice cream tub (having scoffed the the ice cream first) then sprinkle the parsnip seed over the toweling.

I lay another piece of damp toweling on top of the seed and just gently press it down to sandwich the seeds.

Put the lid back on and place it in your airing cupboard or some such place.

After about 4 or 5 days start checking the seeds - peal the top layer back - and when you see a little white piece of the root begin protruding from a seed (wait for several) start to plant them in pots. As mentioned above, I use loo roll inners as these give the roots a good straight run. I then plant them into a cone shaped hole I have made using an iron bar plunged into the bed and rotated. I fill the hole with compost.

Mine have been planted out now for several weeks and are about nine inches tall.

Pippin
                        "Growing For Gold"

Comment

Nine inches tall Pippin ! Wow ! Mine have been planted for about 2 weeks and are about 2 inches tall. I thought they were doing great.

Comment

Originally posted by Pippin View Post
                            Mine have been planted out now for several weeks and are about nine inches tall.

Pippin
                            Wow. All the fag of your system certainly seems to pay off.Mine only just starting their 2nd true leaf

Nine inches tall Pippin ! Wow ! Mine have been planted for about 2 weeks and are about 2 inches tall. I thought they were doing great.
                            they are,mine are barely that.
                            i think you're both doing well..so there.
                            Begining to think about saving loo rolls in time for next winter.

Q: I 've got one of those wooden moulds for making paper pots.Do you think they would work instead of loo rolls.I know they have a bottom but it's only newspaper so would pose little resistance to the tap root?
                            Jane

Comment

Kimbo, I know a lot of people don't like to use slug pellets ( I don't like to use them myself) but in the greenhouse I sprinkle a few on the floor. They can't get into the food chain from there or be eaten by the birds or other animals and it does save your plants from the carnage.
                              Unfortunately my four cats like to use the greenhouses as their personal solariums socant use pellets. I do though have some copper tape that I am going to put round the large containers I am going to grow them in

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X