Parsnip germination

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we have 2 types of parsnips one suttons and one Earth babe sent
    the only ones to germante and grow are Earthbabes a Big Thanky you Earthbabe
    what type are they I will be leting some go to seed how many will i need to leave in for the seeds for next year
    Some things in their natural state have the most VIVID colors
    Dobby

Comment

I will try some in the light and some in the dark Pippin, both lots on damp kitchen paper, and will let you know what happens. My first experiment haha! I didnt know you could save their seed for next year? Has to be better than buying packets all the time?
      Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Originally posted by peanut View Post
        Sorry to sound stupid but what is capping?
        You don't...that's how we all learn.

i'm afraid i'm not too good at links- but there was a thread on capping on 1st May in allotment advice forum. It includeds a diffinitive drawing posted by geo!

sorry to sound stupidbut how do i post a link to another thread?

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ead.php?t=6851
        Last edited by Lesley Jay; 11-05-2007, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Thanks LJ I was wondering how you did that!
          The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Well, as promised, I sowed parsnip seeds on kitchen towel. The ones in the light on top of the kitchen towel are yet to do much though I think they kept drying out too much, being at work every day it was difficult to keep them permanently damp. The rest I put in between two pieces of damp kitchen towel, which in turn was between two plates, on the kitchen windowsill, and I made sure they stayed damp (sprayed every two or three days when the towel felt like it was drying out). They took nine days to grow little white roots, some quite vigourously, and are now planted into the veg plot. Whether they grow into decent parsnips remains to be seen, but as a Total Novice I can highly recommend this method of getting the seed to germinate! I just hope the move into the soil wasn't too much of a shock for them and they still grow for me (theyre under plastic bottles cut lengthways as temporary cloches).
            Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Well done Moggssue- If I may say so .

It will be interesting to hear how they eventually turn out.

A bit concerned about some of the longer chitted roots - but hey!, you have filled in some of the blanks, especially keeping the toweling quite damp at all times. They will need less attention in a plastic container with a lid - and next time you will do it like a pro .

Pippin
              "Growing For Gold"

Comment

Thanks Pippin - I'll let you know how they get on later in the season! Never thought of a plastic container but will try that method next year. I'm learning fast here, thanks mostly to all you viners on here!

Comment

I used a resealable freezer bag

Comment

Kimbo -did you just pop the seeds into the bag, seal and wait for something to happen? Or is it more complicated than that?! It would certainly help my problem of keeping the seeds damp.

Comment

Originally posted by moggssue View Post
                      Kimbo -did you just pop the seeds into the bag, seal and wait for something to happen? Or is it more complicated than that?! It would certainly help my problem of keeping the seeds damp.
                      I dampened two sheet of kitchen roll, put seeds on top then put two more dampened sheets on top of the seeds, placed in freezer bag, sealed it and put it in the airing cupboard. No need to keep dampening the paper as it keeps moist.

Comment

I did the same thing Kim, but put them on my windowsill (I dont have an airing cupboard) between two dinner plates! Next year I'll use freezer bags, much simpler - thank you.

Comment

I used damp kitchen roll with the seeds spaced out on the top. I used 25 seeds and got 21 germinating. I folded the top of the bag down and left them in the light on the kitchen window sill (no top layer) and they came on a treat. I'll do it this way again.
                          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

THe ones I left in the light didnt do very well but I didnt have them inside a bag so think they dried out too much. The ones under the kitchen roll are all now in the garden, just about showing themselves above the soil, yippeeee! I'll try again next year, both lots inside a bag, but some in the light and some in the dark (presuming I'm now too late for any more this year?)

Comment

The kitchen roll in the freezer bag in the dark definitely works. I now have more parsnips germinated than I know what to do with.

Comment

Kimbo, I'm going to listen to you and do it your way next year, then I know I'll have some parsnips! Then just have to make sure they grow once planted out - so far so good, tho they're only an inch tall so far! If I can pester you a bit more - how long do you let the white roots get on the kitchen towel before planting out? I had various sizes, since I left the first few to show until most of them had germinated but then the first ones were getting quite long?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X