Plastic Greenhouses

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic Greenhouses

I have seen a number of these about and was wondering if they are any good?

Kimbo,

I've had good success with a variety of plastic build yerself greenhouses.
    Big problem is that the cover is quite flimsey and only lasts a few years or less if the damn kids next door hoof a football through it.

Last year I purchased a weeny 6'x3' 'proper greenhouse', ali frame with plastic glazing. So far so good many tender plants survivied the winter as did the greenhouse. Great plans to grow a few heritage toms in it this year.

Hils

Comment

I have a small wooden lean to coldframe/greenhouse with plastic panes, excellent, retains heat well in winter too as it is up against the wall.
      Best wishes
      Andrewo
      Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Before I built my glass greenhouse I managed very well with mini plastic greenhouses which really are nothing more than a plant staging covered in a plastic coat. Each year I would raise my seed in them and then remove the upper shelves and grow my Tomatoes in. A grow bag fits quite well on the bottom and three plants grow quite happily during the summer. The only thing I would recommend if it is a mini plastic greenhouse you intend to use is to make sure it is pegged down or tied to wall fixings to stop it blowing away. One year I came down one morning to find all my seed trays on the floor and the greenhouse at the bottom of the garden. This put my garden plans back a month and cost me more money to buy plants to replace my seedlings in order to catch up.
        Jax

Comment

I bought a 5' x 3' x 3' green plastic greenhouse from Lidls last year and it was great until the wind got up. It had side vents, a mesh flap and a plastic flap too, so it was easy to regulate air flow. Excellent value! I tucked the plastic 'skirt' inside around the bottom and put big heavy rocks inside to keep it all down, but it was still prone to wind damage. If you have a sheltered sunny spot that would be best, otherwise throw away the pegs they give you for pegging it into the ground and wire it like a tent. This year I'm thinking of using it as a roaming cloche for lettuces and salad crops.

I think I recall an article last year in Kitchen Garden about big plastic greenhouses and the reviewer said basically they're a great thing, but check the plastic and the seams are robust and wire it down well.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Homebase do one that is about 6' long 4' wide & 6'6" high for arround £40, unless you get it on one if their 10% days. The plastic is farely strong and should last for 3 years or so. They also sell replacement covers. The pegs with them are not strong enough, so I used metal rods bent in a u shape instead. Needs to be in a sheltered spot as it tends to catch the wind a bit. I always take the cover off over winter & store it. Good for crops that need constant heat, I have grown melons & watermelons in them for several years with much success.

Comment

I've had a couple of small plastic greenhouses as I don't have room for a 'proper' one. The covers don't last very long as they tend to dry out & split in the sunshine , you can buy replacement covers but often it's cheaper just to buy a new greenhouse altogether. There doesn't seem to be much difference in durability between cheap or expensive ones, I had one which just cost a few pounds & lasted about 3 years & won one worth about £50 which has a flashy reinforced cover which is now losing the little bits of plastic inbetween the mesh. They also sag a little as the local cats will find they make lovely comfy sunbeds to lie on top or inside of if you leave the flaps open!
              Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

They are good if you can't get a glass one. The only additional problem over and above what has already been said is the slugs. I had a problem last year with slugs crawling up the inside and either base jumping or parachuting onto my basil!!!! Needless to say no fresh Pesto for us last year. As I mentioned on a previous thread you can get all sorts of glass houses and cold frames etc. on Ebay. I have had some really good experiences with stuff there
                Good Luck
                XXXX

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X