No announcement yet.

Creative bean frames!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it is my plot you refer to Mark, that was in 2003. It was a very hot summer and very easy to control weed growth.. I had a 102 year old lady who once ran her own plant nursery visit. She said she had never seen anything like it. I took that as high praise. She was a very welcome visitor till she stopped at my gooseberry bush and started snacking

The poor sole is now dead but she was a working artist right up to the time she died. She produced several books showing her work. I have some of them and it is like looking at the actual plant. Yyou can see the cover of one of the books here. Amazon.com: Scots Roses (9781870673266): Mary McMurtrie: Books

Comment

oh and I should modestly admit to winning the inaugural best allotment category in the Aberdeen in Bloom competition that year. <preens>

Comment

That was 10 years ago Ap! How have you done since then

Comment

I no longer enter VC. Council staff do the judging and when one is in dispute with them funnily enough, they don't rate my abilities any more

Comment

Alright - reason accepted
            I'm sure your plot is still immaculate

Comment

I'll admit to well kept. Pretty well nigh on impossible to keep weed free with the weather we had last year. In hot weather, a quick hoe does wonders but when it is permanently wet, hoeingj ust moves the weeds around

Comment

This is my mk2 bean rack mk1 was last year's and wasn't strong enough.

Comment

Going to be making some tomorrow I hope!

Comment

Lots of good ideas Just thinking up a way of doing mine without too much expense. already spent quite a bit this year already
                    Visit my blog at: marksallotment20162017.wordpress.com

Comment

Hi, mulling over some ideas for bean frames next year, some great designs on here which I will no doubt steal!!!
                      one thing that puzzles me though is that some the structures look very solid and permanent but I thought it was a bad idea to keep anything in one place more than a year. If they are permanent do you just replace the soil next year?
                      82.6% of people believe any statstic!

Comment

I think many people have permanent Bean Frames. I made mine permanent because the old guy on the next plot who had his plot for over 30 years did the same, so who was I to argue if it was right or wrong.
                        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                        -----------------------------------------------------------
                        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

This was a very enjoyable thread with lots of great ideas!
                          sigpic

Comment

Hi just bang a pole or post in ground leaving 6 or 7 feet showing.
                            fasten half a dozen strings to the top and then pul them to the side to make a circle of strings similar to a maypole and peg them to the ground.
                            leave a decent gap between 2 of them to get inside to get the beans hanging down.

when finished just pull strings off easy then move to wherever you want no need for big heave duty setup.
                            put new strings in next year if you want sumat stronger use clothes line SIMPLES

Comment

Originally posted by 21up View Post
                              Hi just bang a pole or post in ground leaving 6 or 7 feet showing.
                              How tall are you? I can't even reach up 6', let along "bang a pole in"

Comment

21up & VC...................

sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                                -----------------------------------------------------------
                                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X