Earthing up potatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chris View Post
    I just poke a deep whole (not sure, maybe around 2') and drop them in, cover with earth and move on.
    I hope you come back to this Chris. Do you plant on the square? I've just dug and earthed up into sort of raised piles the bit of field that I'm trying to bring into being a garden so I've got some nice deep piles of soil to stick the spuds into at about the depthe you use. As I won't be earthing them I was thinking about putting them in square at about 23" (That being half of 15" along the row and 30" between.).

Thoughts anyone?
    "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

marchogaeth, I plant them 15" each way. It takes more plants that way, but they form a closed canopy sooner, which keeps the weeds down.

Comment

Originally posted by planetologist View Post
        marchogaeth, I plant them 15" each way. It takes more plants that way, but they form a closed canopy sooner, which keeps the weeds down.
        Thanks, I couldn't think of any logical reason not to go square if I wasn't ridging up. I think I'll do my Wilja on this sort of spacing. I have got some really huge, organic Sarpo Mira - they were relatively expensive and are absolutely plastered in shoots so I think I'll go for wider spacing with them. If I don't get the ground cover before the weeds start I'll soak some newpaper or card and put that down.
        "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Like many of you I plant spuds traditionally, trench about 5"deep, earth up to a small ridge and then earh up again regularly during the growing season. I have always wondered why we do it this way, why don't we just plant the blighters deeper?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X