Cucumber seedlings damping off

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cucumber seedlings damping off

Help...I have just discarded my second batch of cumcumber seedlings due to damping off - the second lot also developed white leaves. I have ensured that everything is scrupiously clean and watered from below so I can't understand why this is happening, none of my other seedlings are affected - tomatoes, chilli, peppers etc. I have been covering all the seedlings with fleece as my greenhouse is not heated...maybe that is creating the wrong atmosphere. Any advice?

It might be too cold & damp in the greenhouse for cucumbers, try starting them off on your kitchen windowsill & keep them in there until they are fairly sturdy looking then harden them off by putting them in the greenhouse during the day & bringing them in at night for a few days before putting them out permanently. You can get something called Cheshunt compound which you apply to the compost which stops damping off & is used even by some organic growers, never tried it myself but it is supposed to be good.
    Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

I'd wait till the weather warms up TE if your greenhouse is unheated. Cue seed can be funny sometimes and cold & dull won't help. You can use Cheshunt compound but it can hinder germination sometimes.

As to watering, if you are using water from a butt, this can introduce infection. Boiled rainwater would be better if you can & give all the pots etc a wash in 20% bleach - that 'll steralise everything. Then it should be 3rd time lucky!
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

hi normally in doors , and only put them in the green house with night time tempature of 55 fahrenheit, that should do the trick,but be ready to give extra protection if late frost hits

Comment

Whether you water from the top or bottom, they hate having wet roots. I suggest watering from the top but only when the compost is nearly dry and then only enough to remoisten the compost.

Comment

Originally posted by SueA
            You can get something called Cheshunt compound which you apply to the compost which stops damping off & is used even by some organic growers, never tried it myself but it is supposed to be good.
            This is very good and lasts a long time (dilute it well). You can also water from below, to stop dampening off but frankly, its just too damn cold for them at the moment and we are experiencing days of rain, snow or overcast followed by cold sunny days, so if the plants are under glass they are getting belts of heat followed by being plunged into dim frozen days.
            Best wishes
            Andrewo
            Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

One other tip is to cover the seed with vermiculite rather than compost, this helps reduce stem rotting.

Jerry
              Holidays in Devon

http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/

My Allotment Blog

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thank you all!!

Your advice is duely noted...I think I have been a bit too eager to get going...and will follow it all on batch no. 3!!!

Thanks once again
                TE

Comment

Better to be eager than slow...
                  Best wishes
                  Andrewo
                  Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse