No announcement yet.

Wacky watering ideas

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is has got me wondering... would one of these "solar pond pumps" (like the above link) be a useful way to water an a greenhouse/blowaway ? Feed the pump from a nearby water butt and use the output to create "rain" off the roof of the gh. Admittedly means you're watering the leaves more than the soil...

Given more "diy time" than I seem to ever get my "plan" is: a shed on the lotty with the existsing waterbutt collecting rainwater from the roof; Solar panel on the shed roof (or southfacing wall & lofted at a decent angle) charging a bunch of batteries, small arduino type computer board turning a pump on/off based on a combination of time of day, temperature & moisture levels. Sadly a bunch of more pressing stuff requires available time before this - including actually getting the lotty dug over and planted up with some actually stuff !!!! This vapourware idea actually something I could do with at home as well so now I have 2x the reasons to find some time for it...

Comment

I have been experimenting with dilute pop bottles, the double concentrate from the folk associated with Wimbledon

Leave the bung/pourer thingy in the top, fill it with water then upend it and bury snugly in the ground so it doesn't blow over. I have been checking it daily since trying this and it seems a 1.25l bottle will last 1.5 - 2 weeks.
      When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it.
      If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Comment

Originally posted by jpdw View Post
        This is has got me wondering... would one of these "solar pond pumps" (like the above link) be a useful way to water an a greenhouse/blowaway ? Feed the pump from a nearby water butt and use the output to create "rain" off the roof of the gh. Admittedly means you're watering the leaves more than the soil...

Given more "diy time" than I seem to ever get my "plan" is: a shed on the lotty with the existsing waterbutt collecting rainwater from the roof; Solar panel on the shed roof (or southfacing wall & lofted at a decent angle) charging a bunch of batteries, small arduino type computer board turning a pump on/off based on a combination of time of day, temperature & moisture levels. Sadly a bunch of more pressing stuff requires available time before this - including actually getting the lotty dug over and planted up with some actually stuff !!!! This vapourware idea actually something I could do with at home as well so now I have 2x the reasons to find some time for it...
        this is something i have been looking at. my two raised beds are usually watered using the hose pipe with me waving it about. last year with the hose pipe ban watering the beds with a watering can was a nightmare. So i said this year i would set up some sort of watering/sprinkling system for the beds. As we go away a bit i wanted i monitoring system for temperature, moisture, light levels, humidity etc.
        Probably going to use a spare raspberry pi i have.

I must abmit with all the diy i am doing in the house this project still sees me waving the hosepipe about !!
        Last edited by chefgage; 12-05-2013, 10:24 AM.
        All my projects including my brewing adventures!

www.make-your-own.info

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X