Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spuds

has anyone tried this way t & m recommends

Where space is limited, try growing potatoes in potato bags on the patio. Fill the potato bags by one third with good quality compost mixed with some well rotted manure. Space 3 seed potatoes in each bag on top of the compost. Fill the bags by another third and place 2 more seed potatoes on top of the compost. Finally cover them with more compost until the bags are full. Place the bags in a sunny position and water regularly to keep the compost moist.
    my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Trialed it a few years back with main crop. 2 bins done my normal away 4 sets in each along side a bin done this way 4 sets on first layer and then a further 4 half way up the bin.

I was really hoping it would work as I would then be able to increase my harvest using the same amount of space. Unfortunately the 2 bins grown the normal way out performed the layered bin by a good margin.

Potty
    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hawthorns View Post
      has anyone tried ... growing potatoes in potato bags on the patio.
      Yes, every year, at school. I have to say, harvests are hopeless. They do much better in the ground.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I grow mine in bags for exhibition and although there can be failures, most varieties do very well in bags in a suitable growing medium.

Comment

I've only ever grown potatoes in bags until now and you can get a reasonable harvest if you don't squash too many in. I usually roll the sides down when planting, then roll them up as I earth up the plants.

Comment

What would you consider to be a suitable growing medium for containers AP?

I just use home-made compost with some sieved clay soil thats been winter weathered and add potato fertiliser and miracle grow occasionally.
            Results aren't to bad depending on the weather conditions but I'm not sure if the growing medium is correct.

I've not tried the T&M way as I prefer the old fashioned way of earthing up the shoots.
            Last edited by gingerbilly; 25-03-2013, 08:46 AM.

Comment

GB, for a 17 ltre polypot, I add 4 ozs fertiliser(powdered vitax q4) and 4 ozs powdered calcified seaweed to 17 ltrs of shredded peat.
              Any gp compost can be used but you may need to supplement the fertiliser

Edit note :if what you are doing works, don't mess about with my compost mix if you are just growing for the kitchen
              Last edited by Aberdeenplotter; 25-03-2013, 08:58 AM. Reason: added edit note

Comment

Originally posted by hawthorns View Post
                has anyone tried this way t & m recommends

Where space is limited, try growing potatoes in potato bags on the patio. Fill the potato bags by one third with good quality compost mixed with some well rotted manure. Space 3 seed potatoes in each bag on top of the compost. Fill the bags by another third and place 2 more seed potatoes on top of the compost. Finally cover them with more compost until the bags are full. Place the bags in a sunny position and water regularly to keep the compost moist.
                I've only been growing spuds for a couple of years, but always in tubs.

As far as I can tell, and I've kept pretty accurate records of harvests, is that less is more when it comes to spuds in buckets.

I can't comment on this method as I haven't tried it, but, if I was an unscrupulous potato supplier I would be trying to sell as many potatoes as possible.

Perhaps I'll try it this year for myself to see what will happen, particularly as it'll be ages yet until my maincrop goes in, and I have bought far too many spuds!!!!
                The more help a man has in his garden, the less it belongs to him.
                William M. Davies

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X