Mulching fruit beds in this cold weather

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mulching fruit beds in this cold weather

Hi - I'm sure I had read a while back to wait till the soil temperature rises before mulching it. But I wonder if it's ok to do it now as it is nearly April and I can see plenty of growth and budding happening. I have horse manure and want to mulch the fruit bushes.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by redser; 25-03-2013, 08:33 AM.

I've given my fruit bushes top dressing of manure in the dead of winter before, when the ground was frozen, and I don't think it did them any harm. The manure wasn't very well rotted, and I thought that a bit of residual warmth in the manure would warm up the soil underneath.

I guess that that opposing view is that you would be 'sealing in' the cold ground with the manure/mulch which would stop it warming up when we finally get some better weather.

I'd do it - but then, I can be impatient, and would just want to get the job done.

Comment

I'm with the opposing view especially as we are likely to have perma frost if this cold spell is maintained

Comment

Thanks to both of you. I see nboth sides too, especially like Hazel, the one where you're impatient to get certain chores done Looking like at least another 2 weeks of this weather. I'll ponder some more

Comment

as long as you have your mulch close to your fruit bushes, spreading it omce things warm up a bit won't be too much of a chore

Comment

<laughing at my typo omce> would sorted it but it tickled me when I saw it

Comment

Nutter ^^^^^

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X