gherkins

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gherkins

I have planted some gherkin seeds. I've tried 3 times now and am not sure what I'm doing wrong. I get the seeds to germinate and get as far as the first 2 leaves (so now I have seedlings). without moving them (as I understand their roots dont like to be moved) they end up wilting and dieing. I water them to keep the soil moist, in a deepish planting tray. I obviously would like any advice to get them to last to a plant? Any ideas anyone?
    Look not from the mind, but from the soul. For the life that is coming is already before us, waiting to open up the world. Just look more closely. Find the eyes to see. - Celestine Prophecy 1st insight

Visit my blog: http://wheatleyswheels.blogspot.com

They could be too moist. Like courgette and cucumbers there's a danger that they can rot off if too wet. You might be killing them with kindness! Can't think of anything else that would topple them iof they've got that far.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

i agree with Flummery, probably too moist, have grown gerkins in greenhouse for last 4 years and found that just planting directly in a bed helps. to be honest, once in the greenhouse they tend to be slightly neglected (but not too much )

have just ended last jar of pickles from last year so am glad that this years batch are well on the way.
      Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
      Bob Dylan

Comment

can you grow gherkins outside?

Comment

have tried to grow them outside, but yields are not as good as in greenhouse, they do suffer from cold, wind, heavy rain etc,

but if you have a nice warm, sheltered spot, try them and see, they have two choices and you may be lucky
          Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
          Bob Dylan

Comment

I've tried inside and ouit the inside ones keep dying like the outside so will have to keep them drier and see how they go as you guys are probably right about me loving them too much... difficult to decide. thank you for all your advice.
            Look not from the mind, but from the soul. For the life that is coming is already before us, waiting to open up the world. Just look more closely. Find the eyes to see. - Celestine Prophecy 1st insight

Visit my blog: http://wheatleyswheels.blogspot.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X