Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this manure ready for my plot?

Hi - Another beginner question from me!

Yesterday I bought 7 bags of manure from the side of the road. I have taken them to the allotment and had a look inside. I have never used manure and am unsure if it is OK to dig this stuff in now or whether I need to let it rot further.

It doesn't smell of muck - I thought it should, more earthy, hence why I think it could be OK?

Here are a couple of pics:

Thanks!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by adamjohn; 25-03-2013, 01:04 PM.

That looks quite fresh to me. You can still see the shape of the droppings. What were you planning to use it on?

Comment

Still looks pretty fresh, I would leave it for another 6 months or so.
      Rule of thumb I usually go by is that if you can still see straw or shavings well, it hasn't had long enough to rot down.
      If there is evidence of un-rotted sawdust,shavings and straw then use with caution as these things deplete the soil of nitrogen as they rot in the ground.
      http://theallotmentplot.weebly.com/index.html

A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows.

Comment

But you can use it as a mulch and the worms will take it down as it rots.

I'd check for aminopyralid before you do anything with it though.
        Last edited by zazen999; 25-03-2013, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

I was planning on digging it in to the beds I am going to plant my potatoes into.

So alternatively I could use it as a mulch or I could pop it all into a half full dalek compost bin I have got, Mix all the contents together and leave for six months?

Comment

Originally posted by adamjohn View Post
            Thanks for the advice.

I was planning on digging it in to the beds I am going to plant my potatoes into.

So alternatively I could use it as a mulch or I could pop it all into a half full dalek compost bin I have got, Mix all the contents together and leave for six months?
            Personally, I'd bung it on the potato beds (no need to dig in) and plant the spuds through, although either of your other plans would work just as well.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
              But you can use it as a mulch and the worms will take it down as it rots.

I'd check for aminopyralid before you do anything with it though.
              Just googled aminopyralid... Now that is pretty worrying! How would you go about testing for it?

Comment

As Hazel says (and assuming it is "ok" manure), then if you are using it for spuds, it will be fine to use....Lay it on/across the ground and plant the seed potatoes on it...
                I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                sigpic

Comment

Hope you enjoy reading AJ:

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ure_39626.html
                  sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                  -----------------------------------------------------------
                  KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Just googled aminopyralid... Now that is pretty worrying! How would you go about testing for it?
                    Bring some home and mix 50/50 with multipurpose compost, and sow some beans in it. Then watch as they grow. If the leaves are mangled and distorted do not put it on your veg patch.

Comment

I was planning on digging it in to the beds
                      Mulching is much more effective than "digging in".

http://home.howstuffworks.com/vegeta...en-mulches.htm
                      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 26-03-2013, 05:14 PM.
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

That's definitely fresh. Any horse poo-ologist will confirm that.

Aminopyralid contamination is more likely with dairy farms and therefore cow manure. Most horse people will only spot treat weeds - I don't know anyone that does it routinely. I've never once used herbicides on my land, just topping once a year. I use fresher manure on my spud beds and also at the bottom of containers, so it rots whilst the veg grows down. After harvest it then goes onto the main beds.

As an aside, poo is so easy to come by, I'd never bother paying for it. Call into any livery yard and ask if you can take some of their muckheap. Some will thrust a shovel at you and tell you to fill your boots! I know I would!
                        Last edited by SlugLobber; 27-03-2013, 12:59 PM. Reason: Because nobody farms diaries...

Comment

Originally posted by SlugLobber View Post
                          That's definitely fresh. Any horse poo-ologist will confirm that.

Aminopyralid contamination is more likely with dairy farms and therefore cow manure. Most horse people will only spot treat weeds - I don't know anyone that does it routinely.
                          But what about bought-in winter feed like hay?

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                            But what about bought-in winter feed like hay?
                            Good point! I've always bought organic hay, which is common, round here. I stand corrected!

Comment

Thought i'd hijack this thread rather than start another similar one.... I picked up a load of manure this weekend, its quite fresh, and is from a field, rather than a stable, so isn't mixed with anything, and its formed some quite big slimy lumps - ewww! Should i mix with straw before putting it in my compost heap? If so, what ratio of straw to manure should it be (and also, where can you buy a bale of straw?). I've been researching hotbeds a bit over the weekend, but decided it looks too complicated, and i don't really have the space on my plot anyway.

Any advice appreciated.
                              He-Pep!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X