No announcement yet.

Is this manure ready for my plot?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not normally slimy, or at least its not when it has had a bit of time to dry out.

Bales of straw can be bought from a lot of feed mills or ask anyone you know who has horses. I think we pay about £3 something a bale for straw but then we tend to get it in bulk orders.

That being said, I wouldn't actively add straw, usually adding it to the compost pile is enough for it to dry out and break up.

Comment

Doesn't it need breaking up a bit to get some air into it? Its been in plastic growbags underneath a whole load of others for a few weeks by the look of it - its like clay. If i put it staight into my compost heap i'm worried it'll just sit there impeneterably and bung up the whole heap.
      Unfortunately i live in the city and don't know anyone with horses or even a farm - would a garden centre sell bales of straw?
      He-Pep!

Comment

Bario, can't you just tip it out of the bags onto a spare bit of ground and let it dry out a bit before you decide what to do with it?

Comment

Yes, i have done that, but i'll need that space soon enough, so i want to get it onto my compost heap. There's no spare ground on my tiny plot! I'm thinking of growing radishes in pots on top of my shed roof!
          He-Pep!

Comment

Chances are garden centres and pet stores will sell it but it will be in bags and very expensive for what you get.

Have a google for feed stores or equestrian\farm stores as they will probably sell a bale for the price of a small bag.

Comment

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
              would a garden centre sell bales of straw?
              We don't buy straw either. I grow my own (which means I just leave old plants standing over winter, until they become all dried out like straw). Then I chop n drop them, leaving them on the soil surface as a mulch. The worms then "dig in" for me. Virtually zero effort on my behalf, and the benefits are tremendous.

More info here
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
                Yes, i have done that, but i'll need that space soon enough, so i want to get it onto my compost heap. There's no spare ground on my tiny plot! I'm thinking of growing radishes in pots on top of my shed roof!
                I'd layer it with whatever compost you have, or failing that - use cardboard, shredded paper or just used paper [raid people's bins at work all week - most these days pay to take paper away for recycling].

You can even layer it onto the place you want to put your squashes, maybe dig out a trench and layer it, and put a mound of soil or compost on top and then plant your squashes into the top. By next year it will have rotted down nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinRSharpe View Post
                  Have a google for feed stores or equestrian\farm stores as they will probably sell a bale for the price of a small bag.
                  Thanks Martin, a quick google search turned up a supplier in Edinburgh selling bales at £3 each! Think i'll buy a couple and use the excess to mulch, and maybe earth up my spuds.

Thanks to all who responded, some interesting ideas to try out there!
                  He-Pep!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X