Dursley Black kidney beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dursley Black kidney beans

I'm trying to trace some Dursley black kidney beans. My uncle used to grow them years ago on his garden at stonehouse, not too far away from Dursley. Can anyone please help?

Never heard of them but do wonder if they're a local variant of a more common (if any of them are!) black bean. Looks like somebody else was looking for them a few years ago (Kitchen Garden - View topic - Dursley Black), assuming this wasn't you then maybe you could contact them and see if they got any and how or maybe they could share some with you. Might also be worth contacting the Heritage Seed Library to see if they know anything about them.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Could it be a local name for Black turtle beans (Shiny, ebony black and kidney shaped) ?

He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Hi Number 76 and welcome to the Grapevine!
        At a seedswap in Cardiff recently I acquired some Buckle's Black runner bean seeds that were said to have been grown locally for 20+ years. I've been unable to find anything out about them but wonder whether they are another local variant as Alison suggested. The actual beans are huge but I've no idea what they'll grow into
        Attached Files

Comment

runner beans and kidney beans are very simlar. People changing a seed varieties name not uncommon.

Comment

Dursley Black kidney beans
            kidney beans and black beans are same bean species. but runner beans are not but so many people confuse bean varieties and other vegetable variety names it ready hard to tell if this was an actual variety or a black bean sold Dursley seed company.

Comment

My mother always calls runner beans - kidney beans. Maybe its a traditional name used by older gardeners (except me).

Comment

Further to my post above Delia when referring to black turtle beans .............

We mean the black bean beloved of Caribbean and South American cooks, which is tender, chunky and sweet, sometimes sold in Britain as a black kidney bean. This, botanically, is just another variation on the theme Phaseolus vulgaris, the indispensable haricot bean.
                Taken from .. Black beans - Ingredients a-c - Ingredients - from Delia Online

Was it a dwarf bean ? if so see halfway down this page for seeds ..........

The Vegetable Seed Store Bean Seeds
                He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  My mother always calls runner beans - kidney beans. Maybe its a traditional name used by older gardeners (except me).
                  My mam does too! Perhaps it's a welsh thing...

Comment

Probably, Scarlet Welsh mams have their own set of rules My nana used to call them kidney beans too - except she used to say kiddely beans

Comment

Originally posted by Number76 View Post
                      I'm trying to trace some Dursley black kidney beans. My uncle used to grow them years ago on his garden at stonehouse, not too far away from Dursley. Can anyone please help?
                      Hello number 76, i live in Eastington just a jog from Stonehouse, use to live in Dursley, but i have not heard of black kidney beans sorry, but thought i would just say hi as your a neighbour.
                      Rita

Comment

In this country we mainly grow 'runner' beans Phaseolus Coccines.

In fact 'kidney' bean seed Phaseolus Vulgaric is much rarer maybe something to do with it containing toxins in certain cicumstances.

Potty
                        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

OP - your best bet is to go to the allotments where your uncle grew his veg and ask them...chances are someone has some somewhere.

I've checked on HSL database and they aren't there - so they are probably a local variety that have probably died out unless someone around there has kept some. Stick an ad up in some post offices - you never know.

Comment

Thanks to you all for the welcome and the replies.Alison, followed your link - yes that was me. So the hunt goes on-

Comment

"kidney" is a shape of bean, not a variety.

Kidney beans come in different colours, not just red, and they are the seeds of "green" beans, aka French beans, runner beans.

The best true red kidney bean I've grown is Canadian Wonder. I've got a few different black bean seeds, some small & oval like the turtle bean above, some longer and slimmer.
                              I haven't got a black bean that has the kidney shape though.
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X