X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it too late?

Hi,

Is it too late to propergate anything?
    I wanted to plant a tomato, sprout, pea, cucumber and some other stuff and i've been putting it off because of the cold. I've bought a window sill propergator to put in stepsons window (he's got the only south facing window and catches lots of sun).
    Just wanted to know if it too late to use it.

Its not too late Jason. Still plenty of time to get your seeds sown. I'm going to sow more tomatoes and haven't even thought about cucumbers, beans and squashes yet.

Comment

Agree with VC there's still plenty of time to think about for all of them - it's still very cold out there

Comment

Gosh no...it's not too late at all!...I've not even started mine yet!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Cartwright View Post
          Hi,

I wanted to plant a tomato, sprout, pea, cucumber and some other stuff and i've been putting it off because of the cold. I've bought a window sill propergator to put in stepsons window (he's got the only south facing window and catches lots of sun).
          Just one tomato, one sprout?

Seriously you can still sow tomato seeds, sprouts and peas. Still a bit early for cucumbers though.

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
            Just one tomato, one sprout?

Seriously you can still sow tomato seeds, sprouts and peas. Still a bit early for cucumbers though.
            A few toms and, yea, 1 sprout. Never grown them before and it's only my stepson that eats them so it'll be his plant. if goes well i'll do more next.

Can you over crowd a grow bag? Due to not having much space i was going to put 5 plants in a grow instead of 3.

Comment

Yes, you can over-crowd them. 5 would mean that the plants wouldn't get enough air flow through them which leads to moulds and diseases, and also would mean the roots don't have enough room and you'd never keep up with the watering they'd need. Personally, I think 3 is too many as well. If you cut the grow bags in half and stand the halves on their ends you'd get more in the space and the plants would be much happier.

Comment

Ive just done tomatoes and chillies....You could do sweetcorn soon too.
                -------------------------------

Currently growing..

Peter Pepper,Moruga Scorpion,Habanero,Bhut Jolokia(yellow),Numex Twilight,Purple Jalapeno,Big Jim,Papri Paprika,Thai Hybrid,Esplendor,Sweet mini bell pepper and Patio fire chilli...

Also
                Black tomato,Dragons Egg Cucumbers and Charentais Melon

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkshire.Dave View Post
                  Ive just done tomatoes and chillies....You could do sweetcorn soon too.
                  Still a bit early for sweetcorn Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                    Still a bit early for sweetcorn Dave.
                    I did mean the end of April when I said soon
                    -------------------------------

Currently growing..

Peter Pepper,Moruga Scorpion,Habanero,Bhut Jolokia(yellow),Numex Twilight,Purple Jalapeno,Big Jim,Papri Paprika,Thai Hybrid,Esplendor,Sweet mini bell pepper and Patio fire chilli...

Also
                    Black tomato,Dragons Egg Cucumbers and Charentais Melon

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Cartwright View Post
                      Hi,

Definitely not too late mate! I've only started toms, tomatillos, and chillies so far, with the odd herb here an there!

Comment

I've started my toms (first batch) and chillis in the last week. Am going to get some herbs going tonight...I have a heated prop and a very warm house but bright windows are my downfall...I don't have any! but I've got away with it so far...this time last year I had about 30 tomato plants that were all started on Jan 4th taking over my spare bedroom - one of them was about 3ft high already! So it feels good to not be overrun

Next to do is sweetcorn, then squashes and cukes..courgettes...all indoors.

Comment

Nope you sill hae plenty of time

Comment

Look at the dates on the packets, you'll find that for almost everything the sowing window is well and truly open

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X