Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using capillary matting

Morning all!

We are heading off on holiday in a week or so and I am going to use some capillary matting to help keep some of my plants and seedlings watered. I am just not sure about the wick part of it. I know you can use the matting as a wick, but it is a bit pricey and I am a bit mean if there is something else I can use as the wick part. Would string or wool work do you think? Presumably it would draw up less moisture than a bit of matting, but if it were small seedlings, they should not need much anyway...

Help! Someone instruct me so everything does not die while we are away!
    If it ain't broke...fix it til it is!

What plants and seedlings do you have, and how long are you going away for?

If you are only away for - say - a week, I would everything a good watering before you go, and not worry about it.

But if you think that you do need to water them, can you fit them into a gravel tray? Then you could put them on an old towel (in the tray) on the kitchen drainer, and dip the other end of the towel in the sink half full of water. Should do the same job as the capilliary matting/wick, I would have thought.

Comment

I have used trainer laces with very good results when plants have been in small pots. You should be able to get some cheaply in the pound shop.

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Have a look at this old thread for ideas, there's also a couple of photos of how i set up my matting.

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...use_70141.html
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
          What plants and seedlings do you have, and how long are you going away for?

If you are only away for - say - a week, I would everything a good watering before you go, and not worry about it.

But if you think that you do need to water them, can you fit them into a gravel tray? Then you could put them on an old towel (in the tray) on the kitchen drainer, and dip the other end of the towel in the sink half full of water. Should do the same job as the capilliary matting/wick, I would have thought.
          I'm only away for a week and the biggest plants are the tomatoes which are now in 9cm pots, so nothing huge. I think maybe the small seedlings might be OK with a watering before we go then. I am just a bit paranoid that if I don't set up some kind of watering system, we will get a sudden heatwave and everything will dry out

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
            Have a look at this old thread for ideas, there's also a couple of photos of how i set up my matting.

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...use_70141.html
            Bren - excellent set up, think that might be the way to go with my tomatoes! Possibly will also use in the growaway greenhouse one I actually get some stuff moved in there! Thanks for all the advice guys!

Comment

How many pots of seedlings do you have? And where are you keeping them? I think we are extremely unlikely to get a heatwave until at least May.

Comment

Its mainly modular trays (probably around 10 in all) and they are on windowsills (some of them visiting the greenhouse now during the day but obviously not while we're away) for the time being.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X