Mystery plant

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Veggielot View Post
    Only had my asparagus a year so no expert but it looks a bit woody to for me. Having said that I didn't leave any over winter.
    If you leave asparagus uncut on the plot for the winter the ferns do indeed go woody and dry.
    Last edited by rustylady; 04-04-2013, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Try this for size
      The biggest breakfast... ostrich eggs go on sale in Waitrose | Mail Online
      The more I think about the mystery plant, the more I believe its asparagus. Should be throwing up new shoots this month and, if you have a huge established asparagus bed, you're a very lucky Dotty

Comment

Ooh, exciting Thanks everyone, will just have to wait and see.

Comment

oooh please do keep us posted, my interest is piqued now
          Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Ere yer go .......

He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Is it a knotweed?

Loving my allotment!

Comment

Could it be a type of fire weed? Look closely to see if there are any fluffy seed fairies left on the branches.
                Location ... Nottingham

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's Jerusalem artichokes, the stems die in the autumn leaving tubers underground which you dig up and eat. They look like small flowered sunflowers in summer and can be a bit spready but obviously not if you eat some each year.
                  You could have a dig to see if the tubers look right to be certain

Comment

I think Fartichoke too.

Not fluffy enough for Asparagus. Rasps are budding already.

Comment

Yeah I think the farty one too.
                      http://togrowahome.wordpress.com/ making a house a home and a garden home grown.

Comment

Could it be a jerry artichoke ?
                        My Wifes Blog

Comment

Do they look like this Dotty? If so, they are Jerusalem artichokes. The last photo shows what is under the soil at the bottom of the stems. Beware though, they don't call them fartichokes for nothing
                          Attached Files
                          A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Thank you all for your help, the shorter section does look a lot like Scarey's picture above so fartichokes is quite a strong contender at the mo I'll be down there over the weekend so will try digging up a little bit and see if there's anything underneath.

Comment

Ok, drumroll please..............

I started digging underneath and I found................

SLUGS!!

Oh, and some artichokes

Thank you all for your help. I was going to start digging them all up but noticed these buds starting to some up in front of the bushes, they aren't part of the artichoke but don't know whether to leave them in. They almost look like asparagus tips but they're too dry and dark, any ideas?

Attached Files

Comment

It looks a little like the thing I've been pulling up- which is apparently marestail. Hopefully it isn't though.
                                http://togrowahome.wordpress.com/ making a house a home and a garden home grown.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X