Onions out?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onions out?

I've sown some onions and leeks that are now about three inches high and about two weeks old. Is it ok to put them outside in my mini greenhouse/cold frame. I understand that it might still be frosty but would they be ok?

Yes, onions are very hardy. Mine have been out since germinating mid-Feb and they're fine having had temps of at least -3 in GH. They've not grown much, mind...
    Garden Grower
    Twitter: @JacobMHowe

Comment

If you don't absolutely need to put them out, keep them in.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
        Mine have been out since germinating mid-Feb ... They've not grown much, mind...
        ... and that's why you might want to keep them under glass for a bit longer
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

We planted some sets in November (ish) direct to the raised beds and I put up around 50 red onion sets into trays in my cold frame today.

We did this last year and had good onions.
          Quanti canicula ille in fenestra ?

Comment

do onion sets need protection from frost? I bought 2 packs but they don't have any info on them, helpfully

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
              ... and that's why you might want to keep them under glass for a bit longer
              That's out as in greenhouse out. Not planted out. They'll get finally planted out when they look strong enough. Usually start of May, but this year, who knows...

The state of my over wintered sets (hardly above ground) tells me all I need to know about the current ground temperature.
              Garden Grower
              Twitter: @JacobMHowe

Comment

onions are quite hardy but severe frosts may well stress them and cause them to bolt.

Comment

Very glad I planted my over-wintering sets in the tunnel this time. They're looking really healthy. My 'spring' planting sets won't be going out til overnight temps are fairly steadily above freezing, and then they'll be fleeced to begin with. It'll be a couple of weeks yet I'm guessing.

Comment

I put mine out yesterday,not fleeced.Grown from seed, they too are about 3" high. Very brave (or foolhardy) but if they don't do I have some sets that I can put in instead.

Comment

mine are about 18" high and I'm scared to put mine out. I'll be potting on I think

Comment

argh. i planted my sets direct today, hopefully they will be OK. A few other plotholders have done the same so fingers crossed...if not i'LL just have to buy more sets how long should i wait for them to show before binning?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X