Pea and bean support

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pea and bean support

Last year I grew peas, beans, mange tout up a net up the fence. It wasn't a great growing year (as we all know) so it's hard to know how successful it was. The year before I grew mange tout up wigwams in pots - they were really successful.

This year I have the allotment (just in case you hadn't heard!) so will be planting in beds. For the runner beans I have decided to put up two rose arches about 6 ft away from each other with bamboo canes lashed horizontally between. I'll put bean netting across and over so the beans can grown right over and I'm going to put them over a path.

I don't think peas need such high support - is that right? I was thinking of putting bamboo canes uproot into the ground with string going across horizontally. I'm not sue how high peas grow? The plants I had in troughs last year only grew to a couple of feet high but I didn't get much of a crop.

I think the mange tout and dwarf peas will stay in pots with wigwams up in the garden.

How high do peas grow on average? Thanks.
    Likac66

Living in her own purple world

Loving gardening, reading, knitting and crochet.

That depends on the vareity.

Keleveton Wonder somewhere between 2`6" and 3ft. Alderman upto 6ft.

Potty
    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Most mainstream varieties of peas will be fine with relatively low supports, 2-3ft at most, but like Potty said, the odd one or two types such as Alderman get to 6ft or more. What does it say on the packet?

Comment

Im using a bamboo structure for my runner beans this year and my lovely other half who is a scaffolder is letting me use some of his brick guards to support my peas

Comment

I have a few different varieties - some I bought, some have been given to me. I have Kelvedon Wonder, Douce Provence, Birds Eye Freebies and some others. I think they're probably all a standard sort. I'll go with the canes and string then.

I also have the Meteor peas that were free with GYO magazine and they are described as a dwarf variety. I'll keep those at home.
          Likac66

Living in her own purple world

Loving gardening, reading, knitting and crochet.

Comment

I like victorian collosal climbing peas,even last year they topped out at 10 ft
            don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
            remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

my pea's have sticks from the woods, these have lots of lower branches and taller one's so the peas can climb up them, it's good for starting them off and then i add pea sticks for when they grow i bit higher.
              i only get the shorter varieties of pea. lets hope for a better year this year.
              Rita

Comment

Originally posted by snakeshack View Post
                I like victorian collosal climbing peas,even last year they topped out at 10 ft
                I'm not going to ask how you pick them!!

Comment

im going to try this set up
                  my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Comment

This is what i'm using this year (still being strung), the beans will climb up then across the south facing slope

Comment

Am going to use the builders corden netting stuff, when I get around to it. For little peas, anyway. Runners will have canes, and netting strung across them.
                      Horticultural Hobbit

http://twitter.com/#!/HorticulturalH
                      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Horti...085870?sk=info

http://horticulturalhobbit.com/

Comment

I like climbing plants myself seems more appropriate for peas and beans. I use bamboo and some poles I got from Wilkinsons to make a frame with pea netting. The most important thing is that it is strong, enough to support the plants. The first year a grew runner beans they broke the supports, total nightmare trying to repair.

Comment

I have chicken wire attached to my wall and they will climb up that with starting support from some sticks from my bamboo plants which I have dug up.

And when your back stops aching,
                          And your hands begin to harden.
                          You will find yourself a partner,
                          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X