Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hanging strawberry planter

Hi

I have some late fruiting strawberrys but they were nearly all eaten by slugs last year so I was thinking of putting in a hanging planter. Has anyone tried them and what are the pros and cons?

Thanks
    BB

Con: need a lot of watering

Con: vine weevils. They love strawberry roots, they love containers. Even high-up ones.
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 08-04-2013, 07:44 PM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
      Con: need a lot of watering
      Just what I was going to say.

Comment

I have two hanging baskets with two plants in each, no problems over the last two years.

Potty
        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I've grown them in hanging baskets in the past and they don't crop anything like as much as ones in the ground but if you can manage the feeding and watering and avoid the vine weevils then you'll get some fruit (don't think jam quantities ) and they do look pretty.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Good point Alison, I only grow 20 plants certainly not enough for jam making, but and its a BIG BUT, SWMBO likes strawberries.

So I grow strawberries, makes her happy if she can nip out the back door with her dish and cream, plus spoon of course.

Potty
            Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
              I only grow 20 plants certainly not enough for jam making
              Interestingly enough I used to only have 24 plants on the plot and in the ground they produce enough to fill our fridge with fresh ones and the cupboard with jams. I've now got 36 but 12 of those are always first year plants so I don't get that much more crop but it's more than enough for us. Was amazed when I first started growing them in the ground rather than tubs.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Add some of the water retaining gel with the compost and given them a regular good soaking, they can be quite thirsty!

Pro
                - Slugs can't get at them
                - They look nice
                - Free up some bed space
                - Fruit sends to hang not on an damp ground

Con
                - Tend not to crop as well
                - Need more watering

Comment

Originally posted by MartinRSharpe View Post
                  - Slugs can't get at them
                  Snails can though
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks guys. I have ordered a hanging bag from Amazon and at £3.15 I will give it a go. The strawbs last year were very late and huge but I didnt get to eat a single one so a hanging bag cant be any worse. I will add some water retaining gel and some slow release feed - any recommendations?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X