potato seedlings

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• potato seedlings

Hi guys.in my plot there is alot of potato sprouting in the newly laid paths and in the beds . iam assuming they are from tiny tubers left in ground from last years crop before my time.the question is what should i do with them?as i don't have enough space to grow potatos .should i leave few of them to grow and if so will it need alot of feeding and earthing up (my only experience with potato growing is in a pot few years ago so don't know much about it)any advice welcome .thanks.g
    goddess

If you don't need the space leave them in. Don't cosset them just dig up in August for free spuds. If you want the space to grow something else you can life them now. Volunteer spuds are quite a nuisance. I find the red skinned varieties hard to spot in my soil so even a tiny potato will grow next year. If it's in an area where it doesn't interfere with a neat row of something I leave it. You will get a few freebies for no effort.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Interesting though isn't it - we go to alot of trouble earthing up our current new crop of potatoes but with volunteer spuds we just leave them to grow and always get a great crop!
      [

Comment

If I had potatoes already growing in my garden, I would be reluctant to leave volunteer spuds remain growing. They are often affected by disease, usually they will succumb to potato blight first because the miss out on blight sprays, while your main crop is sprayed and then act as a source of infection. They can be a very good source for the various potato viruses.

I prefer to remove them at the first sign of disease, otherwise take a chance with them and see what sort of crop you get. I've never seen great crops with them.

Comment

However, goddess isn't growing spuds. Like everything - it's a calculated balancing act!
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

True,
            Let them grow and take whatever free spuds you get

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X