No announcement yet.

Potato plants browning

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ah i never thought it could be soil. in some of the bags its purely soil from the garden, and in others a mixutre of soil and compost (this was when it was snowing outside so i had to get the compost in) i have given them a little seaweed extract, but this is not weekly.

i cant remember the date i planted them. the green bag is a couple of weeks older than the blue bag which has the most problems. there are not many drainage holes in the blue bags which might have caused a little too much moisture, but i dont water them very often as i read they dont need it as often as other plants.

do you guys think there is a problem with the browning then? i was relieved when the others said it looks fine but now im not sure.

the sun wont be a problem now, while it was snowing i had no choice but to keep them indoors but now i can get them outside everyday

Thanks again guys i appreciate the help

Comment

In theory, leggy is not too bad a thing as you can "plant" deep/ earth up for more spuds....

interesting thread covered "horizontal" earthing up http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ays_26167.html
      Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

I've had blackleg on my spuds a couple of times, and must admit I didn't notice anything wrong with the stems, it seemed to happen just under the surface and it was the leaves that showed the symptoms first. It's also a disease which you can't do anything to prevent if I've understood correctly, it comes from the seed?

I'd not worry too much about the stems, and just concentrate on keeping them frost free (which means above 5c rather than above 0c!). Invest in some horticultural fleece (£1 shops have it sometimes, or Aldi/Lidl/B&M/garden centre) and cover them with at least a double layer if you're leaving them out

Comment

Again thanks guys. As i said im new to growing so i will make sure they come indoors if below 5. I didnt realize it had to be so high. ill just hope for the best, and if they do die i have my crop on the other side of the garden directly in the garden, but it would be nice to get 2 lots.

Some of the plants are comming from the very bottom of the bags, and some from half way up, but i will make sure to add more soil once i can stop moving them indoors.

you guys have been great and many replies, thanks alot

Comment

With regards to watering if the sun ever does come out they'll potentially need watering everyday. And particularly the closer to harvesting u get they could even need half a watering can per day which will help bulk up the tubers, as potatoes are made up of lots of water.
            The more help a man has in his garden, the less it belongs to him.
            William M. Davies

Comment

ok man thanks for the info. im a little hesitant since someone said it could be the moisture that made the browning, but i know its got to be done. ill just try to add more seaweed extract

Comment

Are they proper potato bags? I seem to remember you saying earlier that the drainage wasn't great.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                  they need at least 7c, day and night
                  Originally posted by 0kingskins0 View Post
                  bbc ... gave 3C for the last 2 night which is why i left them out
                  i will make sure they come indoors if below 5. I didnt realize it had to be so high.
                  Potatoes are from S.America. They are tender, and really really don't like being cold (same as other S.American crops eg. squash/pumpkin, French & runner beans)
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

hey rusty. some are, some arn't. but i will e poking more holes into the sides to address this.

sorry sheds, somebody else mentioned 5c hence my comment. due to the state of the bags i think i cant move them anymore so ill be adding some bubble wrap over the bags for protection. i do still have 2 bags indoors that i didnt put out yet so i will save these a little longer.

but ultimatly my post was to see if anybody could identify what was causing the browning. id have thought if they were damaged by cold the leaves would be affected too

Thanks

Comment

. id have thought if they were damaged by cold the leaves would be affected too
                      Frost will burn the leaves (black), but you won't necessarily see the damage that cold does: it just stops the plant dead in its tracks, and sometimes it won't recover.

Even though you only want to hear about the browning, do accept the free advice generously given
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

oh sheds dont get me wrong i appreciate your help! hence the adding bubblewrap

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X