Collecting seed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collecting seed

I am interested in how you collect seed off courgettes and whether you can, I know other members of the family e.g. pumpkin, you're not supposed to collect them as the seeds do not come true. Is this the case with courgettes?

I am also interested in what people collect seed in, what is the worst and best seed to collect? Share your triumphs and gripes.

I have a personal favourite, I collected ornamental chives one year, and placed them in a bag but didn't label them and accidently burnt them with the garden rubbish, funny thing is - they seeded where I had the bonfire.
    Best wishes
    Andrewo
    Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

I always collect the seeds from the nasturiums to plant out the following year. I store them in a dark cupboard in a brown paper bag. I take the seeds from the blue meconopsis as I find although they do well here the plants are quite short lived. They germinate best if planted straight away. I also take the seeds from the primulas and plant straight away. I leave them in the unheated greenhouse for the winter and they germinate in spring.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Blue meconopsis has always been the bane of my life, can never get them to germinate, they always die on me. Any tips?
      Best wishes
      Andrewo

Comment

If I remember right these need to be stratified Andrew, so I'd sow them in a good gritty compost & stick them in a coldframe & forget them till spring. Just make sure they don't get to wet & freeze up in the pots
        ntg
        Never be afraid to try something new.
        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
        ==================================================

Comment

Andrewo
          Was just reading an article in GW magazine about Blue Meconopsis before I logged on, so here is the advice given by Carol Klein.
          "Surface sow fresh seed on seed compost in pots or half-trays. Always mix the seed with dry sand to ensure even distribution. Poppies hate root disturbance so prick out seedlings into cell trays when their first true leaves appear. Grow them on, then plant out when they're large enough to survive"
          She then goes on to say that they are most succesful grown in woodland conditions, thriving in cool damp areas and on acid soils.
          She continues "Meconopsis betonicifolia has the reputation of being difficult to grow, but removing flowers stems in it's first year can encourage it to bulk up and prolong it's life."
          I have some in my garden but I was given these as young plants as a leaving present - have never tried to grow from seed myself.
          Rat

British by birth
          Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
          http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

I buy most of my seed from the Real Seed company. They are great as they sell seed for people just like us. None of their varieties are F1 so the seeds come true. With each packet of seed they send you instructions on how to collect and store the seed for next year. Not sure how long they will be in business for as a result, but everything I've ever bought from them has been great and I'm looking forward to harvesting my seed this year. Wish me luck.

Comment

A lot of people just can't be bothered Emma So I suspect quite some time! Then you get the people who will only grow F1 hybrids that cost an arm & leg.

I think it's a great part of the hobby propagating things. If I buy a new plant like a Fuchsia in, I don't go for the ones with the most flower buds on, I look for the ones I can get the most cuttings from!

I've got 2 old plants of a variagated Geranium (pelargonium to be accurate) the flowers aren't hals as good as an F1 hybrid, but I tkae about 30 cuttings off these two every year Who needs big & blousy when you have colour like this

Click image for larger version

Name:	Frank Hedey-650.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	2317684
              ntg

Comment

Emma,

I have used Real Seed company for years, and yes its true I could save most of my seed and then not buy any, but the passion and energy these guys have make me feel I should support them in their efforts.

If not already and you only try one thing go for the chereokee beans or the sweetcorn!
                Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

Do you have the URL for the Real Seed Company or an address for the catalogue?
                  Best wishes
                  Andrewo

Comment

Andrew
                    www.vidaverde.co.uk should get you there !
                    Rat

British by birth
                    Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                    http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Wow, it's fantastic, like a smorgersboard of seeds!
                      Best wishes
                      Andrewo

Comment

What they come with raw fish
                        ntg

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X