bell peppers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bell peppers

Hi all, please help a newbie- i have grown lots of Sunnybrook bell peppers indoors and now they are about 6inches high and looking very healthy- as the first few were slow to germinate , i planted the rest of the whole packet!. i repotted into 5in pots when they were 'large enough to handle' and now im not sure what to do next? will they need stakes and can they be hardened off an go into the un heated greenhouse or have i spoiled them by keeping indoors- running out of space! thanx actiongran

I'm no expert but I'm a bit of a logical scientist.

Why not take the advice the more experienced people give you but also try a few seedlings under all the conditions, ie, indoors, outdoors, outdoors and sheltered etc that way you get to learn more and fast.

I accidentally germinated 54 gardeners delight tomato seedlings this year. I expected to fail. So some are in pots on windowsills and some have been stuck in last years grow bag. half of the bag will be given feed the other half not. I don't expect them to survive but if they do it will be an interesting experiment to see how much feed actually makes a difference.

I'm going to photograph all the plants once a week to create a picture diary that I can draw on in the future.

Don't forget we learn as much from our failures as our successes so long as we learn why they failed.

If you've got an abundance of seedlings what have you got to lose.

Knowledge is everything as they say.

HTH (Hope this helps)

Angie
    Newbie gardener in Cumbria.
    Just started my own website on gardening:

http://angie.weblobe.net/Gardening/

Comment

Hi actiongran. I've only got 4 pepper plants but as I'm a hard woman they've been in the cold greenhouse since they were 3" high and it's been open day and night for the last 10 days or so. Mine are also about 5 - 6 " high and glossy green and healthy looking. When they've put on a bit more root in the 5" pots (I check periodically by knocking one out) I'll put them in their final 10" pots and they'll stay on the staging in the greenhouse. No doubt other people do things differently but the beauty of this nature lark is that things are pretty tough and there are several ways of doing any one thing!
      Last edited by Flummery; 16-05-2007, 03:10 PM.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Actiongran....Welcome to the 'mad house', you will find lots of help and so many very nice people on this forum!
        Last edited by Headfry; 16-05-2007, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Hello actiongran I am a newbie too and have a pepper plant explosion also. We were abit unwise with our homemade compost and everything we thought we were growing (herbs, toms, aubs) have turned out to be pepper plants - we eat alot of peppers and the seeds were loitering (sp?) in the homemade compost!!

We have taken the same route as vertangie and been very experimental. We have peppers everywhere at the moment; some are in our plastic greenhouse which is in our porch, some are on the kitchen windowsill and lots are outside in various places, in the ground and in pots. Outside ones were doing well but May has been VERY windy and they look battered but don't seem to be giving up on us (fingers crossed!!).

I will let you know how we get on, this is our first year of growing peppers (and alot of other things!!).

Happy gardening
          Last edited by veggieginger; 16-05-2007, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X