Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• veg for a shady patch?

Hi
    We have a north facing bed at the side of our house which gets very little sun. Are there any veg that I could grow happily in this patch? It seems a waste to not use the ground? The bed is about 20ft by 3ft
    Thank you!

I don't know of any Veg that will grow in the shade but you could plant Lettuce there & Morello Cherries alywas used to be grown on a north facing wall in walled gardens.
    Last edited by nick the grief; 26-03-2006, 02:15 PM.
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

Your best bet is lettuce and possibly potatoes, rhubarb, but how many hours a day of sun does it get? It must get some.

Found this on a website:

Not an ideal spot for growing vegetables, as you probable realise! If this is the only space you have available, then it is worth a try in the main growing season when light levels are generally higher. Lettuce (especially the 'loose leaf' types), beetroot, kale, spinach, kohl rabi and mange tout peas would be a reasonable choice. Two problems to watch out for - slugs are more likely to be a problem in a shady site; a bed next to a wall may be rather dry as the wall creates a 'rain shadow'.

Some herbs will do well, like mint but it will take over the ground.

Found this, this guy has a North facing garden but is doing well:
      http://www.gardenopoly.co.uk/blog/
      Last edited by Lesley Jay; 19-04-2006, 02:26 PM.
      Best wishes
      Andrewo
      Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Thanks

Thanks all - we do have a largeish veg patch at the top of the garden (4 beds) but just thought it would be good to try and use all the space available. Think I might try lettuce and maybe spinach as I don't have anywhere for these at the minute.

Comment

Good luck, let us know how it goes on.
          Best wishes
          Andrewo

Comment

Most of the Saladins like it cooler, but then again, so do the slugs!
            ntg
            Never be afraid to try something new.
            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
            ==================================================

Comment

I think maybe you could try Asparagus and lettuce, Asparagus however will grow in partial shade however just not as prosperous as it would in full sun, you still get relatively big spears.
              Good Luck....

Comment

Asparagus would be okay, just make sure you put plenty of grit in because it is north facing any water in the soil will freeze easier come winter, so you want good drainage.
                Best wishes
                Andrewo

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X