The end of the road for broad beans?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barking Postlethwaite View Post
    I bought a second freezer ... even that isn't big enough!
    I know what you mean. Both mine are full all year round too
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by WPG View Post
      Jono, I'd definitely recommend overwintered broad beans rather than giving them up altogether. In a normal season these should be ready by June, which gives you time to re-use the space for something else. The aqualdulce which I sowed last November are just laden with beans at the moment (a bit late due to the weather) I'm really pleased with them.
      By contrast I was really disappointed with my overwintered beans. Not many made it through the winter, and those that did aren't cropping appreciably earlier than the ones I raised in paper pots and planted out at the beginning of April. However, I'll probably try it again come November - I'm not sure our heavy clay soil is very suitable for overwintered stuff - I lost onions as well, although purple sprouting and garlic did OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Barking Postlethwaite View Post
        There is going to be a serious surplus of leeks and onions of various sorts as well, so some inventive pickling tactics will need to be developed later in the year.
        No need for pickling - leeks can be left in the ground until you need them, and onions dried off to store.

Comment

Broad Beans take up space?!

I sneak them in at the front of beds. They seem to get on quite well in front of potatoes fr'instance. One year I tried putting them between the potatoes which worked well until the beans came into flower and the potatoes suddenly grew enormous and took all the light. So just at the front now.

As they get planted out at different times depending on when I plant that bed up, from two different sowings, I usually get a succession. My neighbour at the allotment has the most beautiful bed packed full of perfect beans but they will all be ready at the same time. Hope she has a big freezer.

Not a lot of black fly action, they are all being farmed on my globe artichokes

Like Barking Postlethwaite (great name) my sole overwintered broad bean is about a day ahead of the first spring sown ones. I don't think it's worth it unless you need a project.

Comment

I like the idea of trying to succession sow the broadies in different places.

To compare, I've harvested maybe 100g of broad beans from a space about 2ft x 8ft, and a kg of mangetout from a space 3ft x 3ft.
            Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.

Comment

I agree be got a great crop of Sutton this year, they are a prolific copper in limited space and if its sheltered enough don't require any support. I grow in a fairly decent garden it but am still conscious what I grow. I've given potatoes a miss this yeah just because they took up so much space in favour of numerous quick crop salad varieties.
              I tend to pick the crops we eat the most of and those that are most expensive to buy (aubergines and peppers etc) and concentrate on them. Also they prove to be fairly good trade items and you can swap a few for plenty of spuds etc!

Comment

The thing is, the broadies are one of my favourite crops, so they earn their space that way. And I can never plant enough of them!
                Garden Grower
                Twitter: @JacobMHowe

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X