Self Pollinating Runner Bean 'Firestorm' dropping flowers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
    "the old idea that misting runner beans with water helps them to set pods is a myth. It is more likely to hinder, as pollinating bees don't like visiting the flowers when they are wet."
    Sue Stickland: Runner beans | Life and style | The Guardian

"Don’t mist or syringe the flowers with water (as used to be advocated) as this has not been shown to help pod-set"

Runner beans: failure to set pods / Royal Horticultural Society

That's another old gardening rule that we used to all be told, that has now been tested & proven not to be true
    Can't see any studies/research quoted there though.

Comment

Originally posted by GardenNinja View Post
      The problem that I have is not the absence of flowers... but that they won't form pods.
      flowers tend to abort if the soil is dry and the night temperature exceeds 14ºC (RHS)
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by GardenNinja View Post
        Also, I'm a bit confused with the nitrogen production. If the roots need bacteria to make nitrogen, are there enough prokaryotes in container media to do this?
        Mmmmmm, possibly not: depends on what's in the compost you're using
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
          "the old idea that misting runner beans with water helps them to set pods is a myth. It is more likely to hinder, as pollinating bees don't like visiting the flowers when they are wet."
          Sue Stickland: Runner beans | Life and style | The Guardian

"Don’t mist or syringe the flowers with water (as used to be advocated) as this has not been shown to help pod-set"

Runner beans: failure to set pods / Royal Horticultural Society

That's another old gardening rule that we used to all be told, that has now been tested & proven not to be true
          May not help but does it hinder is really the question.
          If it does not hinder then it would make no difference if you sprayed or not, then the reasearch has really done little to help anyone.

As I see no mention for the practise being negative then spraying or not accomplishes the same.

Comment

Well so far I am happy with my Firestorm just one more criteria to fulfil and that's taste. Flowering and bean set are at this time very good and a good harvest is anticipated. Expected to start in less than a fortnight.

Feeding regime at this time Miracle Grow, followed by water followed by Tomorite followed by water. This is the same regime I have followed for some years and it always gives a good crop from containers.

As to misting I don't know whether it does any good but every time I use Miracle Grow I wash the plants down with the feeder. Again its something I have been doing for some years and as I always get good results can see no reason to change.

Pic's from today.

Potty
            Attached Files
            Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Wow your plants look great, Potty! Some of my flowers are now setting so I'm very relieved to get something from the plants, even if it's not as many as I had hoped. I will probably do two to a 35cm container next year... lesson learned!

Do you use Miracle Grow All Purpose soluble plant food?

Comment

Yes amongst other things. Its high in nitrogen for green plant growth and of course very easy to apply with the with the applicator.

The tomorite provides the potash required for fruit growth that's why I alternate them.

Potty

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Ah... I will be sure to try your method. At what strength do you use with the Tomorite and Miracle Grow, respectively?

Comment

At the recommended dilution but more often than recommended hence the watering in between feeds this flushes the pots and prevents any hang ups.

Tomorite is a name used by many manufacturers and is not always the same formulation therefore I follow the guide lines set out on the container.

Potty

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Well they past the taste test, both myself and SWMBO (the most important part of the equation) like them.

The production rate as really taken off now and we are picking everyday. They are growing along side White Lady and one thing I have noticed is that they mature much quicker so I have to check the plants everyday to ensure I get them all.

I will certainly grow this one again.

Potty

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Well I shall certainly grow these again, the harvest is so prolific I will be able to cut down by a couple of plants next year.

This is todays picking.

Potty
                        Attached Files

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                          Well they past the taste test, both myself and SWMBO (the most important part of the equation) like them.

The production rate as really taken off now and we are picking everyday. They are growing along side White Lady and one thing I have noticed is that they mature much quicker so I have to check the plants everyday to ensure I get them all.

I will certainly grow this one again.

Potty
                          I'm doing the same test - they started earlier than White Lady, but at the rate they're going I think they'll finish earlier as well.
                          We'll see if that is what happens, cos then growing both will have been a very good idea

Comment

Thelma, great minds think alike I have 4 White lady to and am having the same experience as you.

Potty

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Thought this pic of how I grow some of my Firestorm runners might help someone. It gives a equivalent plant height of about 14 feet and they are still easy to pick.

Potty
                              Attached Files

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X