how to care for my new baby marrow

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to care for my new baby marrow

Exciting times ! I have a marrow growing, never grown any marrows or pumpkins before. Other than feeding, is there anything special I have to do (other than pray the slugs don't eat it before I do) Should I put anything underneath it, or will this just encourage pests to be attracted to it? Presuming it gets to any sort of decent size, that is.....

I also have a marrow growing. This is the first time I have ever grown them, or grown pretty much anything to be honest!

Mine is long green trailing variety.

I have it in one of those plastic trug things.

It has only taken about 3 weeks to get this big! It is around 9 inches long.

I have given it nothing but LOADS of water....

The marrow is resting on a flannel, with a block of wood under it. No idea why I decided to put this under the marrow. Just seemed like a good idea!!!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by chilli_grower; 08-07-2013, 07:17 PM.

Comment

It does help to prop up marrows and pumpkins off the ground especially if you like them BIG,it allows air circulation and prevents rot as well as reducing the chances of slugs hiding below and noshing them from the ground up,personally I like marrows smaller,about 10-12 inches, picking at this stage means the plant will continue to produce giving a larger nett crop over the season
      don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
      remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

I place my pumpkins on slate roof tiles, to help colour the side that doesn't get to see the light.
        Last edited by Mikey; 09-07-2013, 02:31 PM.
        I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

How exciting! We have four marrow plants and I think we have a couple of embryo marrows, but the male flowers are rushing ahead of the female. Today I stuck a paintbrush in a male flower's nether regions then stuck the brush + pollen in a food bag, to introduce to a female flower if one ever opens. My daughter chose and planted these plants and she'll be so disappointed if they don't do anything The plants look very healthy and vigorous.
          Is there anything that isn't made better by half an hour pottering in the veg patch?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X