Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winter veg - any ideas pls?

hi

have only grown during the summer months, but would like to try winter veg, any ideas? varieties, when to sow etc?

Leeks,broad beans,peas, purple sprouting broccoli,brussel sprouts,spring cabbage,kale.Japanese onions........the list is endless!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

when is the best time 2 plant?

Comment

Originally posted by mrsc2b View Post
        when is the best time 2 plant?
        now now and now
        What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
        Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Parsnips can be left in the ground, and carrots with protection. Salad crops can be kept going with protection and started early likewise.
          It's a big question you've asked Mrsc2b and you might get more detailed answers if you break it down into bits and ask about the individual vegetables suggested to you. That way grapes who know about one particular veg will respond. Look forward to the questions and answers as I want to push my own gardening period as far as I can.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I find that the slugs really start to get into the carrots from november so i dig them up Alice. They store well in a box or dustbin of sand.

I agree that this is a huge subject, half the fun for me is extending the seasons and trying to have something fresh all year. I also like to see the beds used in winter.

It helps us if you say what county your in on your profile but in Autumn you might want to plant broad beans, japanese onions and garlic

For now I'd definately be sowing up some brussels and purple sproutiing maybe some cabbages and kale. It is cutting it fine for leeks but you could buy some from a nurseryman,

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
              Leeks,broad beans,peas, purple sprouting broccoli,brussel sprouts,spring cabbage,kale.Japanese onions........the list is endless!
              Whats this about peas ? would like to know about peas please

Comment

Originally posted by libbyloulou View Post
                Whats this about peas ? would like to know about peas please
                Here's a link to an article about Autumn sown peas from a well known magazine!

Never heard of the mag myself though!

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gar...06/october.php
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

So should we be thinking of sowing now for autumn/winter crops? I was going to wait until my summer cauli, peas and the like are out of hte ground and then use the same space again - but will this be too late for any crops to grow fully?
                  Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Depends what you want to grow - I'm going to sow Purple Sprouting and Kale in June and plant them out in July/Aug. Putting leeks (already sown and bulking up nicely) where my spuds are now - in July when they are dug up. Sowing swede this week.
                    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Hi
                      Can I join in, I have done autumn sowing for stuff that matures spring and summer ie onions, garlic, broad beans but it's planting stuff to actually eat in winter that I want to know about. Especially salad stuff.
                      And what can you leave in the ground (thanks for the tip about carrots)
                      And another question, presumably things like cabbage etc but any hints on best varieties.
                      Wish there was a book on this subject!
                      best wishes
                      Sue

Comment

The kale and sprouting broccoli can be eaten in winter, as can swede and leeks, all of which store in the ground.
                        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by moggssue View Post
                          So should we be thinking of sowing now for autumn/winter crops? I was going to wait until my summer cauli, peas and the like are out of hte ground and then use the same space again - but will this be too late for any crops to grow fully?
                          Good question!!

I think my carots were late in, but when they are out, I will be planting autumn carots, swede and salsify. I think the last day of May I will sow loads of seeds and then hopefully by the time they are big enough to transplant then the carots will be ready for pulling! I hope!

Comment

thanks for the advice, will be busy looking out for seeds i can sow!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X