When should I plany out my sweetcorn?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When should I plany out my sweetcorn?

They're in pots in the greenhouse at the moment and I'm not sure if it's time to plant them out yet. They're about 5" high. I did a search o the subject but couldn't find the info....

As soon as you can be sure that there's not going to be another frost you can plant them out, but most folk wait until the end of May beginning of June depending on your location!

I have a feeling they dont like cold tho, so lower night time temps can set them back a bit, but ours have been out now for 2 weeks, and have gone from 2 leaf stage to 6 leaves, from about 1 1/2" tall to about 6" tall!

Hope this is of some help!
    Blessings
    Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
    Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
    Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
    On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

I found dome old seed in the tin and planted it and 7 came up out of the 8 I planted and I was in the same fposition as you .... so I planted it in the greenhouse as I couldn't be arsed to pot them on and wait till the end of May !!
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

I'm trying sweetcorn for the first time this year & mine have been outside approx 1 week. They've put on lots of growth but I'm keeping an eye on the weather just in case we get a frost! If it gets too cold I shall be nipping out with a bit of fleece to keep them toasty. I read that they need a long growing season so I've tried to put them out as early as I dare! I've also made sure that I've put them in the sunniest part of my veggie bed. Hope this helps?

Comment

In Ipswich you should be safe to plant them out now. If you don't they will just sit around and suffer - they're not really the sort of thing you can keep re-potting. I put mine out last weekend and am keeping my fingers crossed. There are no certainties in gardening!!!

Comment

Planted mine out today. Along with Butternut squash and direct sown Blue lake for the 3 sisters bed.

Comment

Mine are in pots, about 2" high. They germinated well but I've been surprised at how slowly they have grown since they germinated. I'm going to plant them out in the next day or two (they're well hardened off) and they can take their chance.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Mine have been out a week and are growing even though the weather hasn't been the warmest. I wouldn't try potting up. Sooner they get their feet in the ground the better I think. It's your sowing time that needs altering if you want them out when it's REALLY safe. The good weather earlier encouraged many of us to sow earlier than we used to.
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Mine went out yesterday. So far so good. Was considering putting pop bottle cloches on them. Any suggestions?
                  Men do not shape destiny, Destiny produces the man for the hour.

Comment

Sweetcorn hates to be chilly bottle cloches a good idea. It helps us if you give a location in your profile. I think many of us were suckered into early planting by that summer in April thing - my later batches overtaken the early plantings. I plant out after about 4 weeks -when they shoud be 8" high. Try not to disturb roots too much

Comment

I'm down in Somerset, and we've planted out all our sweetcorn (4 different varieties) over the last couple of weeks.

They seem to be doing ok, although not gaining the height they did as quickly as i thought. We've had to put canes up to support the beans in the 3 Sisters beds as the beans dwarf the sweetcorn at present! Am hoping this warm weather we've had over the last few days will continue and help the sweetcorn catch up so we can remove the canes.

Comment

We planted ours out on Sunday, then got home and checked the weather forcast (frost for mid week!! - well the forcast has changed for the better now!!!).
                        We hope to put the tomatoes out this weekend so that's when the last frost will be!!!
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X