No announcement yet.

Toms

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not bragging, honest. But I've been eating Maskotka since the first week of June from a mid February sowing. They are amazing. I'm freezing what we can't eat and made 5 jars of sauce this evening. You have to try them. And they are open pollinated too

Comment

Just to add, they are a small bush type so no need for pinching and just one bamboo to hold the weight of fruit. So very easy to grow and maintain.

Comment

Picked my first toms today. Orkado. Lovely they were, did'nt even get them home!!!!!

Comment

Like Redser, have had loads of Maskotka..
          Also have had Gardeners Delight, Northern Delight, Apero and some chocolate cherry just today...
          I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
          sigpic

Comment

Still green toms in sunny Aberdeen... I have one that is jut about starting to change colour but nowhere near ripe and only noticed that yesterday :-)

Comment

all mine of various varities are green although a couple of the tumbling ones have turned a bit yellow
              All my projects including my brewing adventures!

www.make-your-own.info

Comment

Yesterday evening I picked my first Black cherry GH tom and a 'first in the field' grown in a bucket.
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I have been having a few for some weeks now, but I as pointed out to SWMBO there are literally dozens of Tumblers starting to turn, there will be a glut in the next few days. Time for the tomato puree me thinks.

Potty
                  Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Well the predicted glut has started, this is todays harvest well over two pounds.

Potty
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Potstubsdustbins; 03-08-2013, 03:21 PM.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

No red ones here either; yellows are doing ok.
                      Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

A few of ours are beginning to turn en masse. Though, not 2lb in one go yet!
                        While wearing your night clothes, plant cucumbers on the 1st May before the sun comes up, and they will not be attacked by bugs.

Comment

we had a large salad tonight with bright red ripe tumblers and fresh basil .... tasted ok, (nothing special) and not as sweet as our sungold (sungold are the nicest taste of the ones I have tasted in my garden so far.... I have several varieties and many are not ripe yet, so still early days to draw any conclusions)

more tumblers to follow tommorow as there are still loads of ripe ones ready to be plucked ....

all my tomatoes on bushes are still green, and the only other toms that we are starting to pick are sungold

there's loads though (different varieties), and hoping that they will ripen soon before damp and disease sets in

I read on a tomato forum that some people are starting to 'top' their plants as they are still producing flowers (most of mine are doing the same and still making flowers .... some are nearly 7 foot tall now).... I need to read more about 'topping' before I decide what to do

some say that we are 8 weeks behind in the season, so if that is true, perhaps 'topping' is not such a good idea (yet)
                          Last edited by dim; 03-08-2013, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Dim, the idea of topping/stopping the plant is to restrict vine growth and make what toms are already there grow and ripen. All my cordon plants have been stopped at 5 trusses in the hope of a good harvest.

I to grow Sungold as you can see from the pic, they will average 20 toms per truss so 5 trusses 100 toms per plant.

Tumbler aren't as sweet as Sungold but if you leave them till they are a deep red they taste much better.

Potty

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                              Dim, the idea of topping/stopping the plant is to restrict vine growth and make what toms are already there grow and ripen. All my cordon plants have been stopped at 5 trusses in the hope of a good harvest.

I to grow Sungold as you can see from the pic, they will average 20 toms per truss so 5 trusses 100 toms per plant.

Tumbler aren't as sweet as Sungold but if you leave them till they are a deep red they taste much better.

Potty
                              thanks for the info ..... I'm still learning (it's the 1st time that I am growing tomatoes, so I still have a lot to learn)

so far, so good (I'm growing all my veg and garden plants both for myself and my clients) using the high brix method (AACT, volcanic rock dust, seaweed extract, fish hydrolosate, worm humis etc)

Comment

Have had plenty of cheery toms for a couple of weeks now, but picked first real toms today. Big beefsteaks the size of a cricket ball, that's Sunday breakfast sorted - toms on toast.

With the exception of the cherry tom, mine are all bush toms. Should I do anything as regards stopping these?
                                Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X