Toms

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dim View Post
    we had a large salad tonight with bright red ripe tumblers and fresh basil .... tasted ok, (nothing special) and not as sweet as our sungold (sungold are the nicest taste of the ones I have tasted in my garden so far.... I have several varieties and many are not ripe yet, so still early days to draw any conclusions)

more tumblers to follow tommorow as there are still loads of ripe ones ready to be plucked ....

all my tomatoes on bushes are still green, and the only other toms that we are starting to pick are sungold

there's loads though (different varieties), and hoping that they will ripen soon before damp and disease sets in

I read on a tomato forum that some people are starting to 'top' their plants as they are still producing flowers (most of mine are doing the same and still making flowers .... some are nearly 7 foot tall now).... I need to read more about 'topping' before I decide what to do

some say that we are 8 weeks behind in the season, so if that is true, perhaps 'topping' is not such a good idea (yet)

How can you be 8 week behind if you are eating ripe tomatos?

I have none that are anywhere near orange never mind red. Not even the cherry tomatos.
    But mine are outside, are yours?

Mine are the same, I have tonnes of flowers and it's hard to see who they will have time to
    produce ripe tomatoes at least not before some disease ravages them as happened last year.

I am already seeing some suspicious looking leaves.

Comment

Vince, I grow Tumbler a well known bush tom. At the moment there are dozens of nice green toms on each plant, along with plenty of red ones. They are outside so therefore starting at the end of August all new flowers will be picked off. Unless we have an exceptional year they will not have chance to mature and will be taking away the plants energy from what is already on the bush.

Potty
      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Had close look at my toms today particularly the cherry ones.
        I think one of the first to form might be on the turn toward ripening, it seems
        less white (pale green) than the other ones on the vine and seem to be going a more
        greener green maybe with the very slightest hint of orange.
        So I will be having a good look at it tomorrow for further signs of ripening.

Also anther weird thing is that the tomato plant I put in where I removed a potato plant seem to have some odd looking fruits on it, they look flattened like a doughnut and also seem segmented like a beefstake ie like this

That is not it I will try and upload a pic of mine which is smaller and green.

Comment

Yes I definitely have a Cherry tomato beginning to ripen now, which is s couple of weeks earlier than last year I think.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X