Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh Dear! Mixed up toms

Please can anybody help?

I have several varieties of tomatoes and have planted what I thought were tumblers into a hanging basket. Checking them over today and noticed two of the three plants have a really big flower bud at the top of the plant. Does this mean I have done what I think I've done?
    Which is, plant a beefsteak variety in a hanging basket! If so I'll need to get them out rather sharpish won't I?
    (this happened cos my labels faded)
    Thanks
    Kirsty
    Kirsty b xx

The stems of beefsteak tomatoes are usually much thicker than others, but it will depend how old they are. If it's a noticeably large flower, then it's not a tumbler. Mine are flowering and they are small, normal tomato flowers. Have you got lots of sideshoots? My tumblers have loads.

And no, a beefsteak in a hanging basket is not going to work!

Comment

Dont see a problem really as all tomatoes will 'tumble' if not staked. just let it bush and see what happens. It will certainly behave like a basket tomato although you may need to support the trusses from the basket and give it plenty of feed. Should be novel. Take a picture into the pub and say "now THATS a tumbling tomato!"
      Life is like a toilet roll - the nearer you get to the end, the faster it seems to go!

Comment

Well ok, see what happens.

Personally, I think the weight of the plant - let alone any fruit - will pull it down too much on one side. Three plants in a basket is difficult to keep watered at the best of times, and the bigger the tomato, the more water and food it needs.

Let's fast forward and see the pictures

Comment

You could enter it in the GYO most unusual hanging basket competition!!
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I dropped a whole tray of different tomatoes a few weeks ago and now I haven't a clue whats what so I know what you are going through.
            Bex

Comment

I also have had the faded label problem. my worry is - how do u know if it needs a support or if its bush and wot about indoor and outdoor? please help - any clues I can use?
              Raine

Comment

I have the same problem - gardners delight and marmande....
                Which are which I can't tell. I had them in separate trays but when I potted them up they got mixed about and now I have no idea really....
                Oooops.....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X