You might wanna rephrase that !
    Rat

British by birth
    Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
    http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Bet LJ googles it
      Last edited by nick the grief; 30-03-2006, 07:05 PM.
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

Not much of a bet there - I'd say it was an odds-on cert!
        D'you think maybe we're doing her an injustice .................nah, forget I even typed that.
        Rat

British by birth

Comment

Moderation warning ! Do Not Google any thing the lads write unles you are over 80 and have both parents with you at the time.
          Jax

Comment

You are a right cheeky lot!!

On the subject of water though. If you have a water butt or two and a hose pipe fill the water butt up at night using the hose pipe. Naughty I know but you are growing vegetables and nobody will see you filling it up at night.
            [

Comment

Originally posted by Kimbo
              Take a look on manchester city councils website under environmental services a-z they give the phone no for straight recycling who they are supposed to have a discount deal with for water butts
              Thanks Kimbo,
              I checked the site & took down the number but we come under Salford Council so I checked their website but couldn't find anything about water butts so I've emailed them. I got a compost bin free off Salford council about a year or so ago & now they're selling them for £4-still a bargain.
              Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

You know..In the north of France, when there is a water shortage, the car washes are out of action all summer and everyone drives filthy cars. Does that happen here? Also- they have helicopters flying round looking into people's gardens to see which ones don't look quite so brown and shrivelled as their neighbours and then they call in to investigate(not by copter though!!).
                You can tell I am from one of the most rainy places in the country as other than hose-pipe bans I have no idea what restrictions are actually implimented. What have you been told to expect??
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

You know we don't really mean it LJ (hard to type with your fingers crossed )
                  ntg

Comment

Torrential rain here at the moment .... what water shortage !!
                    ntg

Comment

The sun has got it's hat on,
                      Hip Hip Hip Hooray
                      The sun has got it's hat on
                      Cause it's off on holidays
                      Rat

British by birth

Comment

You see Rat same out come different problem. You can't garden cos the tundra's frozen, I can't cos it's a paddy field
                        ntg

Comment

Can't grow anything on frozen tundra - you can grow rice , so still not fair
                          Rat

British by birth

Comment

I have ben told at our allotments in South London that anyone found using a hose during the ban will have their membership revoked.

We have not put the taps back on yet but at each tap stand there is a big tank. so it will be fill the tank and plod off with watering cans.

I would also say that filling a watering can from a hose would still break the ban.

Finally I am going to try the newspaper in the trought idea for my peas and runners and anything else that I have to dig. put a load of shredded paper in the bottom of the told and sk it and hope it retains the moisture.
                            My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Best of luck Nog, We can't use hosepipes on our site at any time, but like you say you can slosh as much arround as you like in cans.

If I remember right someone was prosecuted last time for using a hosepipe to empty the bath! Bit harsh to say the least but there you are. What annoys me is the fact that for the last month or so I've passed a "mountain stream" down the road where a water main has been leaking & sod all's been done about it!

We are an Island surrounded by the stuff, how can we run out! They don't run out in Israel, but then I don't suppose there water companies have shareholders to contend with

Right, Rant over back to the gardening
                              Last edited by nick the grief; 31-03-2006, 08:23 PM.
                              ntg

Comment

I want to get a water sava, a pipe from my downspout to water butt and then a thin hose to attach to my tap to run to the other one across the garden. Anyone got any ideas, I am in Lancashire so am not a Thames Water user.

The idea is to run the water save into my first butt, attach the pipe directly to the tap (but must be a thin pipe for pressure and be able to be attached to a normal water butt tap), run the hose under the ground to my other butt, 15' away and just place the hose through the top of butt. So when it rains, I can use the water pressure/gravity in butt 1 to fill butt 2 (there is no room to connect them next to each other).

Just need to find the supplies.
                                Best wishes
                                Andrewo
                                Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X