Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To pick the peppers or not? That is the question.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
    Don't think there any sweet peppers that are green when ripe Bill.
    I have some.
    photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

My sweet peppers ripened perfectly, but I had one small problem with them. Small being the operative word....
      Attached Files

Comment

Still no sign of any ripening. Hmmmmmmmm. There was me dreaming of roasted red peppers and crunchy yellow peppers in my salads. But no, just green ones in the chilli. :/
        While wearing your night clothes, plant cucumbers on the 1st May before the sun comes up, and they will not be attacked by bugs.

Comment

You only posted last week, D! Be patient. If they are fairly large and green they will almost certainly ripen before they die!

At least you have peppers, I have been resolved for months now that I have grown most of this years crop just to over winter them. I am rubbing off flowers and small fruit and trying to decide when I can start hacking the none fruiters down to a few twigs.
          "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

I grow California Wonder (red) which I usually grow in 6 inch pots on the kitchen windowsill. Last year I was harvesting these right up to Christmas, both green and red, and they produced about 12 peppers per plant, some of which were a decent size and others a little small. I've never had any success with peppers outside - this year I had to put the plants out as they became covered in aphids. The small peppers went black and started to rot almost immediately and the leaves were shredded over night by slugs.
            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I am sure some will come good, after all some of the Chillis are starting to turn colour now. I think I need to re-jig the greenhouse to give the peppers a bit more direct sun for longer. Might even do it this evening.
              While wearing your night clothes, plant cucumbers on the 1st May before the sun comes up, and they will not be attacked by bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by WPG View Post
                My sweet peppers ripened perfectly, but I had one small problem with them. Small being the operative word....
                Lots of my orange ones are like that! I thought it must be the variety? Mohawk and Gourmet - small plants, titchy peppers? I don't like them much to be honest - they taste a bit bitter.. how are your's?
                sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by Creemteez View Post
                  I have been forced to pick some of my un-ripe peppers as some little b****r is weevling their way into them and eating them from the inside out! I'd love to know who's responsible. Think it must be some sort of worm. Picked this one this morning as it was showing signs of having been nibbled. Shame I don't like green peppers, isn't it![ATTACH=CONFIG]39431[/ATTACH]
                  I have the same problem Creemteez - still haven't found the culprit. My polytunnel is so full of wee beasties I'd be hard pressed to guess which one(s) are doing damage to specific plants... I did find a tiny black beetly looking thing loitering the other day, don't know if there's such a thing as a pepper beetle??
                  sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

Good to know it's not just me! No doubt there is some kritter that has a particular fancy for peppers. I did find a snail munching on one of my ripened Cayenne Chilies!!! It had eaten quite a bit of it and it's eyes weren't even watering!
                    Last edited by Creemteez; 30-08-2013, 08:50 AM.
                    When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

Never had any problems with chillis, but this is the first year I have managed to grow Sweet peppers ( was always my one thing I couldn't grow)... Have had a great crop from Mila's Bulgarian Red, Pimento, Bell Boy and California Wonder.. Slow to turn red but on the way now
                      I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kathyd View Post
                        Lots of my orange ones are like that! I thought it must be the variety? Mohawk and Gourmet - small plants, titchy peppers? I don't like them much to be honest - they taste a bit bitter.. how are your's?
                        Hi Kathyd. Well, I've just tried one to see if it was bitter too...popped it in my mouth and discovered it's not a sweet pepper at all, but the hottest chilli I've ever tasted!!

Thought that was a bit odd, seeing as I don't grow chillis but now I've remembered that when I subscribed to GYO in the spring the free gift was 6 chilli seedlings, which I just stuck in a corner and forgot about.....

When does the burning stop!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X