Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fruitful greenhouse toms to grow in the North?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jessmorris View Post
    Hi folks, can anyone recommend some high yielding varieties for the north of England? I have enough room for around 10 toms in my greenhouse. This years yield has been around 3 toms per plant (Roma and Genovese) - very disappointing!
    I'm in Nottingham so the midland and not so far North but I reckon I am closer to 30 toms par plant, picked half a crate full today, of various type and I have already picked loads prior to that.

Mine were grown out doors too, I don't think it is the variety of tom that is your problem.
    I never pruned mine really, they a lot got blown over in the wind last might, the weight of the toms on the wet plant would have been considerable despite having a lot of ties to hole the poles straight.

And none of my really ripened this year, I have loads of big red Alicante and quite a lot of plum (Roma) got hit by blight first, some blight about now but it had hit the smaller cherry plants first and I have picked a big pile of those already so no probs, I have way more than I need.

All my varieties have done very well Cherry Tigerrella, Roma and Alicante.

So I don't think it is the variety, must be something else, 3 is not even half a truss.
    Were they pollinated?

Or maybe the weather was not so good up there?
    Last edited by esbo; 02-10-2013, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
    Working...
    X