No announcement yet.

Planning for the plot

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Growing solely in containers I have found over the years that to obtained success then planning is essential, not only now but through out the year.

Already 90% of this years used compost has been riddled and stored in dustbins ready to reuse next year. 800 litres so far.

Mid November my year diary and seed box will come out and I will spend an enjoyable couple of hours going through what seed I have and placing orders for the remainder with my suppliers.

Planting will start mid to late January and follow on plantings will continue through the year, so that as I harvest one mature plant it will be replaced by a seedling.

I find the planning and anticipation almost as enjoyable as the actual growing.

Potty
    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
      I find the planning and anticipation almost as enjoyable as the actual growing.
      Potty
      Me too! Many a rainy hour is spent sorting through my seed tin, browsing the internet for new seeds and plants, and jotting down lists in my scruffy little gardening notepad. Was just planning the bed rotation for next year and came across last year's plan - unfortunately it bears very little resemblance to what I actually ended up growing! So not sure how useful these plans really are but hey, they are fun!
      Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes

Comment

I plan it all in quite a bit of detail and then refine it each winter for the following growing season based on what has done well and what we've enjoyed. I have an excel sheet which lists all the seeds I have, how many I intend to plant and when (which month and if it's start, middle or end). I then know what I need to sow and when and keep a record of how many germinate. As the season progresses I find that the records aren't kept as well as at the start but if I can do it most of the time then I'm happy and it doesn't actually take that long the way I've set it up. I plant things pretty much in the same place each year but moved a set of beds along for rotation so I know things fit well although do have a few free form beds which are used for the extras I buy or for excess plants that I can't bear to throw away. I know that some people might think that this is all bit bit sad and boring but if I don't plan things and have it reasonably organised then I'll not get half as much done and won't be able to put veggies on the table.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Part of my brain knows I have enough seeds to last me for the next five years at the very least (I have a very tiny growing space), but lust and greed and a childish love of bright shiny things pin that bit of brain in a corner whenever I'm confronted with a shiny display stand of seeds.

Come Autumn I riffle through my two biscuit tins of packets like Aladdin riffling through the treasure chests of the forty thieves. Then they're pretty much forgotten till Spring.

A balmy day or two in March and the tins come out again. I pick out few packets and sow a few seeds. If there's space left over when they're planted out, I sow a few more. No definite plan, although I do lean towards leafy brassicas, and carrots are hopeless on my clay soil.
          Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
          Endless wonder.

Comment

I made a plan for next spring after I realised this summer that I had sown far more vegetables than I could physically accommodate in my raised beds. But then this month, on a whim, I decided to build two more raised beds, ordered nine raspberry canes, came across some onion sets at the garden centre (which I hadn't planned on growing at all), and my whole plan went out the window. Whenever I find something new I want to try growing, excitement takes over and common sense goes out the window. So rather than starting from scratch I'm just going to improvise under vague guidance from my original plan and hope that everything turns out alright!
            Last edited by catgirl; 26-10-2013, 07:30 PM.

Comment

I make all the right noises when it comes to planning, but in reality I'm a bit more spur of the moment. I take time to make a detailed record of what I grew where at the end of the year, so that I can rotate my beds appropriately. I do like to experiment though and will often buy some seeds I hadn't planned on or pick up some seedlings when they are on offer I can never pass up a good deal. This is generally when any rigid plan goes out the window, and a little fluidity is called for.

Planning is not that important, succession sowing though is vital if you want an extended harvest and to avoid the inevitable failed crop.
              I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
                Planning is not that important, succession sowing though is vital if you want an extended harvest and to avoid the inevitable failed crop.
                Ah but succession sowing has to be planned otherwise it doesn't happen

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I usually know where my spuds and onions are going, everything else fits in accordingly

Comment

I've grown beans in the same spot for the last 5 years at least. Everything else is mostly started in seed trays, graduates to modules and then is planted wherever there's a space. No plan, but it seems to work because as one crop is harvested there's already something waiting in the wings to go in
                    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

If you practice crop rotation you need to document what you're putting where, so that limits what can go where. But IMHO too much planning is contrary to the permaculture spirit of observation and accepting feedback from the garden. You sow things and they fail, or you get volunteers which like that particular spot better than what you've sown, so you resow elsewhere. You get given a load of onions by the local CSA that were still green at the end of September, so they have to be fitted in. As others have said, making plans in winter is fun, but keeping to the plan in spring is boring.

Comment

This year is my second harvest. Because I've been mostly clearing and digging, to some extent it's been plant what you can where, although I've tried to install a crop rotation plan. Next season will be the first proper site rotation plan. Means some overlap, but not much. And I need to resite some fruit this winter to make rotation easier - some things, such as potatoes and brassicas, take up more space. The plan is for four rotation areas and a 'spare' smaller area for sundry crops., leaving a third of the plot for the fruit. - but that better sited.

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                          Ah but succession sowing has to be planned otherwise it doesn't happen
                          I have seed packets in monthly slots in my box, when I've sown some that need to be sown again they simply move forward to the next month in the box. I'm not sure if thats technically planning as such, it works most of the time, as long as I have enough trays.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
                            I have seed packets in monthly slots in my box, when I've sown some that need to be sown again they simply move forward to the next month in the box. I'm not sure if thats technically planning as such, it works most of the time, as long as I have enough trays.
                            So organised! That is a good idea, am going to follow your example. Need to find a bigger 'seed box', tho.
                            DottyR

Comment

As a newbie allotment holder, this is my first winter having my plots. When I set up my first plot, I planned each of the beds and next year will be rotating things around. I have a reasonable idea of where things will go, but agree with everyone else, sometimes it just goes out of the window. (It's already has for me, as I wasn't planning to do garlic, onion and shallot sets - and then got super excited after reading articles and posts. Most of my beds were still full, so I've had to squeeze them in wherever possible and not at all to plan)

Apart from that, I have loads of seed packs and catalogues to look through this winter. I find keeping a running 'ideas for the plot' note book really helps me. I get new ideas or inspiration, so note it all down.

This year's harvest has really made me think about what I want to be growing next year. I know I grew things that I wasn't that keen on eating, but wanted to have a go at growing. That's going to go out of the window next year and I've made a list of my favourites and will probably stick to a few varieties of each to keep things interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

Been there and got the t shirt littlefox2000,

I still grow a few things that I'm not that keen on but not so much anymore. I have dug up my ancient gooseberry bush this year and given it to my FIL as I can take them or leave them, and the OH won't eat them at all. Seems little point giving room to something that you just won't eat.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X