Cold snap! To plant or not?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold snap! To plant or not?

I had planned to get my toms, sweetcorn, beans, watermelon and cucumbers in the ground tomorrow but the weather forecast for the weekend and early week is for rain and quite a drop in temperature. Would it be best to keep these plants at home and mollycoddle them for another few days until the weather picks up again or get them in?

so long as there's not a frost they will be fine LTP. The overcast days & rain wll help them establish as well.
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

Originally posted by LostthePlot View Post
      I had planned to get my toms, sweetcorn, beans, watermelon and cucumbers in the ground tomorrow but the weather forecast for the weekend and early week is for rain and quite a drop in temperature. Would it be best to keep these plants at home and mollycoddle them for another few days until the weather picks up again or get them in?
      i think the beans and and sweetcorn will be alright as long as the keeps away the others should be ok jacob
      What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
      Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Originally posted by jacob marley View Post
        i think the beans and and sweetcorn will be alright as long as the keeps away the others should be ok jacob
        wind is word i forgot jacob
        What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
        Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Don't eat brussels or beans then Jacob
          ntg
          Never be afraid to try something new.
          Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
          A large group of professionals built the Titanic
          ==================================================

Comment

Of course the rain will help them settle in nicely, I was worried that the exposed nature of the the lottie and cold weather would cause a check in the plants' growth?

Comment

I planted my tomatoes and beans out today - they were starting to suffer in their pots and i have been attempting to harden them off for a while now. I am sure they will be fine, and even if they stall for a little while they will still catch up.

Comment

Hi LTP, I'm having same dilemma, I've decided to plant courgettes / sweetcorn this weekend anyway, and will drape some fleece over them until they get settled in. Hopefully it won't get THAT cold...

Vik
                Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

http://viks-garden.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hello LTP. You're lucky to have the luxury of asking the question. I've already planted mine ! And whose weather forecast do you believe. Daytime forecasts seem quite reliable, but overnight temps are all over the place ! I'm committed to going for the fingers crossed method.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I'm still weeding frantically on the lottie Alice, one of the courgettes I want to take up there is already blooming !

Rain or not, I know what I'm doing this weekend, ALL weekend, from dawn to dusk lol. Once the planting is done, then I'll make the bed edges!
                    Catch up with my daily doings at http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ and http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/ but wait a while cos these are well out of date ! Don't want to ditch them entirely cos I'll never remember the urls !

Comment

we got most of ours out but we still have some inside as well
                      I found that the wind caused the most damadge we lost 5 goast rider pumpkins, we let them get too big
                      we have also lost a tomato plant outside

if you can wate a few days then i would just keep puting them out and bring them back in if there not too big

our toms are quite big there more like athleats than rugby playres
                      next year will be better as we will have the heated green house up out back
                      Some things in their natural state have the most VIVID colors
                      Dobby

Comment

As long as they are well hardened off they should be fine as to temperature. For the last week of the hardening off process I keep mine out day and night (with an ear cocked for a frost warning!) If they've coped well in their little pots they will romp away in the ground.
                        Wind isn't usually a problem in my garden but I believe the latest forcast is for high winds after the weekend. If your site is very exposed I'd leave it till the following weekend. However, all my stuff is out except aubergines and peppers which will probably stay in the greenhouse all their lives.
                        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Same issue for me - I am going for it!

Tomatoes three foot high, Courgettes almost as wide... it's time!

Comment

According to weather.co.uk the overnight temperatures are about 5-7 degrees where I am. Looks like I'm unlikely to need to water anything though!
                            A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Yes, but have you checked any other forecast Hey Wayne. Metcheck always have lower temps and the BBC somewhere in the middle. Weather .co.uk have been hopelessly optimistic with their overnight temps recently.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X