No announcement yet.

Vegboi Mark's Allotment

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's been lovely here today, going chilly now but we didn't have the frost that was forecast do that's good news.
    Are you any better now? Are you out of hospital?

Comment

• Hey fella, saw you had to have tests for meningitis, and you were worried about your veg?

I know its exciting when you lay your plans down and get the veg on your new plot going but you can alawys delay that. You only get one shot with your health so dont over do it!

Hope you are feeling much better now
      Last edited by Greenleaves; 04-05-2014, 05:37 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
        It's been lovely here today, going chilly now but we didn't have the frost that was forecast do that's good news.
        Are you any better now? Are you out of hospital?
        Oh that's good news about the frost / I am out thankfully but my partner James has meningitis so is stuck in for two weeks, unfortunately i don't drive do it's a nightmare visiting. I need to pass my test before my theory runs out.

Thankfully everything survived in gh thank you all for your support but the weeds and bind weed are rife . I keep harping in about my onions but the tops are all yellow / dies anyone know what this could mean ? Soil deficiency

I've pottered about and whitened my gh but someone said there's no need - what does everyone else do?

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum
        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Greenleaves View Post
          Hey fella, saw you had to have tests for meningitis, and you were worried about your veg?

I know its exciting when you lay your plans down and get the veg on your new plot going but you can alawys delay that. You only get one shot with your health so dont over do it!

Hope you are feeling much better now
          Thanks Greenleaves I know your right it's just my first year and I'm overly keen. I still need someone to tell me gets they would plant together if they had my plot layout - I'm struggling a bit

Comment

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
            Hope you're feeling better today Mark.
            I'm sure you're seedlings will be fine. Still plenty of time to resow if necessary.
            Look after yourself..
            Thanks Veggiechicken you were right x

Comment

• Its good that you're up and about Mark
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                Its good that you're up and about Mark
                ThNks very much Bren I'm not right still what ever this viral thing is, and after lumber puncture they've left me with nerve problems in my leg have to wait for it to go - if it doesn't it could be a blood clot

Comment

• Blimey you are in the wars, keep your chin up, get your head down, chest out, stomach in, and if that don't kill you, you are going to be ok.

Regarding what to plant together wouldn't worry about it, I stuff things wherever there is room, but not tall stuff that will cut light off from the smaller plants.

The onions I would top dress with some BFB or just bone meal.
                  photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

• Like Bill said for planting up your beds. I tend to bung things in where there is a space. My beans get planted in the same spot at the back of my plot to avoid them casting shade on any crops. I "try" to group things together spuds, brassicas, roots etc and make sure I don't follow with the same group the following year. It seems to work for me.

Take it easy though and keep us posted. Hoping you both feel much better soon.

Comment

• Poor old you, hope you continue to feel better. Your seeds will be fine, if you lose a couple, still loads of time to sow, I've got loads to sow still.

You take care.
                      DottyR

Comment

• I found this on Companion Planting Guide | gregsarmas

sorry for the long post, the web address said it has expired!? so i copied and pasted incase you couldn't access it

Companion Planting chart from The Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening, J.I. Rodale

Plant

Companion(s) and Effects

Asparagus

Tomatoes, parsley, basil

Basil

Tomatoes (improves growth & flavor); said to dislike rue; repels flies & mosquitoes

Bean

Potatoes, carrots, cucumbers, cauliflower, cabbage, summer savory, most other veggies & herbs

Bean (bush)

Sunflowers (beans like partial shade, unless you live up north, sunflowers attract birds & bees for pollination), cucumbers (combination of heavy and light feeders), potatoes, corn, celery, summer savory

Bee Balm

Tomatoes (improves growth & flavor).

Beet

Onions, kohlrabi

Borage

Tomatoes (attracts bees, deters tomato worm, improves growth & flavor), squash, strawberries

Cabbage Family (broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, kale, kohlrabi)

Potatoes, celery, dill, chamomile, sage, thyme, mint, pennyroyal, rosemary, lavender, beets, onions; aromatic plants deter cabbage worms

Caraway

Loosens soil; plant here and there

Carrot

Peas, lettuce, chives, onions, leeks, rosemary, sage, tomatoes

Catnip

Plant in borders; protects against flea beetles

Celery

Leeks, tomatoes, bush beans, cauliflower, cabbage

Chamomile

Cabbage, onions

Chervil

Radishes (improves growth & flavor).

Chive

Carrots; plant around base of fruit trees to discourage insects from climbing trunk

Corn

Potatoes, peas, beans, cucumbers, pumpkin, squash

Cucumber

Beans, corn, peas, radishes, sunflowers

Dead Nettle

Potatoes (deters potato bugs)

Dill

Cabbage (improves growth & health), carrots

Eggplant

Beans

Fennel

Most plants are supposed to dislike it.

Flax

Carrots, potatoes

Garlic

Roses & raspberries (deters Japanese beetle); with herbs to enhance their production of essential oils; plant liberally throughout garden to deter pests

Horseradish

Potatoes (deters potato beetle); around plum trees to discourage curculios

Hyssop

Cabbage (deters cabbage moths), grapes; keep away from radishes

Lamb’s Quarters

Nutritious edible weeds; allow to grow in modest amounts in the corn

Leek

Onions, celery, carrots

Lemon Balm

Here and there in the garden

Marigold

The workhorse of pest deterrents; keeps soil free of nematodes; discourages many insects; plant freely throughout the garden.

Marjoram

Here and there in the garden

Mint

Cabbage family; tomatoes; deters cabbage moth

Nasturtium

Tomatoes, radish, cabbage, cucumbers; plant under fruit trees; deters aphids & pests of curcurbits

Onion

Beets, strawberries, tomato, lettuce (protects against slugs), beans (protects against ants), summer savory

Parsley

Tomato, asparagus

Pea

Squash (when squash follows peas up trellis), plus grows well with almost any vegetable; adds nitrogen to the soil

Petunia

Protects beans; beneficial throughout garden

Potato

Horseradish, beans, corn, cabbage, marigold, limas, eggplant (as a trap crop for potato beetle)

Pot Marigold

Helps tomato, but plant throughout garden as deterrent to asparagus beetle, tomato worm & many other garden pests

Pumpkin

Corn

Radish

Peas, nasturtium, lettuce, cucumbers; a general aid in repelling insects

Rosemary

Carrots, beans, cabbage, sage; deters cabbage moth, bean beetles & carrot fly

Rue

Roses & raspberries; deters Japanese beetle; keep away from basil

Sage

Rosemary, carrots, cabbage, peas, beans; deters some insects

Soybean

Grows with anything; helps everything

Spinach

Strawberries

Squash

Nasturtium, corn

Strawberry

Bush beans, spinach, borage, lettuce (as a border)

Summer Savory

Beans, onions; deters bean beetles

Sunflower

Cucumber

Tansy

Plant under fruit trees; deters pests of roses & raspberries; deters flying insects, also Japanese beetles, striped cucumber beetles, squash bugs; deters ants

Tarragon

Good throughout garden

Thyme

Here and there in garden; deters cabbage worm

Tomato

Chives, onion, parsley, asparagus, marigold, nasturtium, carrot, limas

Valerian

Good anywhere in garden

Wormwood

As a border, keeps animals from the garden

Yarrow

Plant along borders, near paths, near aromatic herbs; enhances essential oil production of herbs
                        lostontheplot.wordpress.com

Comment

• Originally posted by vegboi View Post
                          ThNks very much Bren I'm not right still what ever this viral thing is, and after lumber puncture they've left me with nerve problems in my leg have to wait for it to go - if it doesn't it could be a blood clot

You don't do things by half do you? Hope your partners on the mend

Comment

• Morning all hope everyone is well I'm feeling little deflated , slugs and pigeons have eaten 20 cabbages, 4 squash and 5 lettuces . Just wondering am I too late to resow or should I buy plugs ?

Attached Files

Comment

• Hi Mark - hope you're better now.
                              I've just sown some squash and lettuces - plenty of time for those. With the cabbages - it may depend on which ones you were growing but I always Go for it - nothing ventured and all that!
                              Get yourself some debris netting or enviromesh and cover your seedlings to keep the pigeons away and some organic slug pellets to sprinkle underneath it for the slugs.
                              Keep smiling

Comment

• Hi Vegboi, hope you are feeling better and your partner is also on the mend?

As VC has said, there's plenty of time for squash and courgettes and lettuce! Get those seed packets out. As for cabbages it depend which ones you want to sow - look on the seed packet. I've just sown some purple headed cauli, they have just popped through the surface, taken just 3 days to show. Good luck!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X