No announcement yet.

am sad...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Others have already mentioned growing more fruit and mulching everything, so I just wanted to add perennial vegetables and herbs. They're in the same position for longer; the advantage is that they're easier to mulch, that you have to get down on your knees and plant/sow them only once in several years, and they also get going earlier in the year than sown vegetable so are also a great way to fill the hungry gap. Even standard kale can be grown as a perennial and if you tie them to a support they get easier and easier to harvest as they grow, just keep eating the lower leaves.

Comment

Go the no dig if you can. That's what we do here and it's great. My back is not good these days, but also there is so much else that needs to be done around here.
      The last autumn we mulched with hay, but the hay had a lot of seed (this year I've asked for the hay (silage) with little seed for the garden and the seeded stuff for the horses). But because we had grass from the hay, very thick and about 9 inches high by the time we got to it - we just put unseeded hay on it very, very thickly. Then when a couple of patches of grass put their heads through, just mulched again on those spots.
      We've grown what we can this year (very dry here) but there have only been a few grass seed heads through and I can easily pull them off as I go past.
      Originally in that spot we put paper/cardboard down, thick mulch hay, compost and more hay. It's a great garden now. A lot of the alternative methods of gardening are easier to manage without bending a lot. So have a good look around here.

You'll find there's a lot of debate over dig/no dig. But it's all useful information and if you've already put a lot of work into your plot you've done the hard yards,now you just need to modify to suit your own needs. And yes, you can look to be an example for other people who can't do a lot of heavy work.
      Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Another idea for you is to make your own raised containers out of half oil drums (cut lengthways, rather than across). You wouldn't need so much extra soil/filler, then and you'd find it easier to water.

I've started using no dig on part of my plot as of last Autumn, mulching with compost and straw/manure. It already looks better than last year, as there are no weeds.

I'd also look into taking turmeric (with a source of piperine, such as black pepper). There are a few bonafide (as opposed to pseudoscience) studies going on at the moment with respect to its properties as an anti-inflammatory, so it's worth a shot!

Comment

Originally posted by SlugLobber View Post
          I'd also look into taking turmeric (with a source of piperine, such as black pepper). There are a few bonafide (as opposed to pseudoscience) studies going on at the moment with respect to its properties as an anti-inflammatory, so it's worth a shot!
          With regard to the above I would remind you ......

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
          Without wanting to discourage the community spirit inherent in the chat section, there have been some concerns about some health related topics.

Whilst it can be helpful to talk to friends and like minded people about health concerns, any immediate health problems should be discussed with your own GP, or in an emergency situation NHS Direct can be called on 0845 4647.
          Taken from ...... http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...-cs_28310.html
          Last edited by bearded bloke; 30-01-2014, 08:46 PM.
          He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Maybe I should try growing some tumeric then? Toddling off to the norty step with me wine and me cheese n crackers

But in seriousness, I like to hear lots of different ideas, but agree that it is not in the scope of an open forum. Don't forget pm's tho - if you have questions and want to ask each other things.

Back to arthritis....
            Ali

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Comment

Originally posted by Feral007 View Post
              Go the no dig if you can. That's what we do here and it's great. My back is not good these days, but also there is so much else that needs to be done around here.
              The last autumn we mulched with hay, but the hay had a lot of seed (this year I've asked for the hay (silage) with little seed for the garden and the seeded stuff for the horses). But because we had grass from the hay, very thick and about 9 inches high by the time we got to it - we just put unseeded hay on it very, very thickly. Then when a couple of patches of grass put their heads through, just mulched again on those spots.
              We've grown what we can this year (very dry here) but there have only been a few grass seed heads through and I can easily pull them off as I go past.
              Originally in that spot we put paper/cardboard down, thick mulch hay, compost and more hay. It's a great garden now. A lot of the alternative methods of gardening are easier to manage without bending a lot. So have a good look around here.

You'll find there's a lot of debate over dig/no dig. But it's all useful information and if you've already put a lot of work into your plot you've done the hard yards,now you just need to modify to suit your own needs. And yes, you can look to be an example for other people who can't do a lot of heavy work.

[that sounds good but I have about a half to threequarter cubic yard of rotted compost to get into the ground first, but I do have a long handled spade to ease the pressure on my back...
              Last edited by Nicos; 01-02-2014, 04:32 AM.

Comment

If you're going to do no-dig don't dig that rotted compost in - stop!

We put down cardboard. Wet the ground first - then the cardboard and wet it (shouldn't be a problem with the rain you're having )
                Then hay, and wet it. Then the rotted compost, then more hay.

If you don't wet it as you go it can take a while for it all to soak in from the top.

If you have rotted compost save it for planting in, don't put it into the ground first and then raise the beds above it. I'd kill for some good rotted compost - well not kill, possibly torture a little
                Ali

Comment

I hope you can find a solution and don't have to give up your plot. As I'm sure you know, keeping mobile is important when you have arthritis or any similar condition so I'm sure it will be good for your OH to be able to still work on the plot.

I grow in pots only as I don't have a garden but I would love an allotment. Unfortunately I have lots of health problems that mean I can't bend and can't really move much at all at times! So I'd struggle by myself with even a small allotment, which is a shame as our local council recently advertised available allotments despite me thinking there was a waiting list of several years. I will be taking note of the suggestions given here

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
                    With regard to the above I would remind you ......

Taken from ...... http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...-cs_28310.html
                    Jees, Beardy, calm down. I did say look into it! I didn't say start quaffing it with every cuppa...Shove up on the norty step, Feral...
                    Last edited by SlugLobber; 03-02-2014, 11:06 AM. Reason: horty is not norty...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X