Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compost bags instead of growbags?

Hello

This is probably a very silly question, but my local garden centre has a really good offer on 75L bags of multi-purpose compost (BOGOF). Can I use these like a big growbag for beans, peas, other veg? Or is there something special about a growbags design that makes them more suitable for this purpose?

If I can use them, how would I support the crop (the bags will be on a patio) as I am imagining that the soil in the bag will not be deep enough to support canes?

Thanks for any advice.

Yes you can use it like a big grow bag, to support them you would need a pergola or some sort of overhead trellice to hang string from and support them with string.

Comment

You can buy frames for use with growbags but it would be cheaper to make one
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

Aldi are selling growbag supports this week. 3 for £1.99. They are the ones that sit under the bag and have uprights that link together to hold and support a cane.
        Jax

Comment

Is there anything that they Don't sell Jax are they any good for groceries
          ntg

Comment

Oh I might check them out....... I do get around when I'm at work - occasionally I do work things too!

Next week I move into my new office, I'm sharing with one other person who only works two days a week so I will have lots of time to read the forum!

Comment

Nic as regards groceries I have no idea? The amount of bits and bobs I have bought from them in the last few weeks is large, but strangely not a bit to eat.
              I buy a lot of food from Lidil and I have been very pleased with the quality.
              The reason I have never bought food from Aldi is that they try to make the tins and packets look like another market brand leader, which puts me off. Lidil on the other hand stacks the goods up and shows them to be what then are. Goods from all over Europe with no apology for the fact that English is about fourth or fifth place on the packet instructions. I always used to buy Heinz beans and soups but not any more. Lidil's makes are far better. Perhaps it’s the fact that they also sell to other Europeans who still demand quality food and still enjoy cooking?
              Jax

Comment

Aldi food is good, the fish is good, smoked mackerel, haddock or cod mmmmmmm, their fresh veg is good too

Comment

not as good as my fresh veg Dragonz

It was a bit tongue in cheek that one Jax, but I've already insulted you once this week with the Gender issue We have 2 Aldi's near us and there distribution place is about 4 miles from me, do you think they'd notice if I went in and picked up a few bargains
                  ntg

Comment

No probs
                    Jax

Comment

I am also a lidl, aldi, netto trecker. They have some great bargains in every now and again. I have a load of those metal grow bag things and another catalouge I had delivered was selling the same thing (well looked exactly the same to me), for 3 times the price.
                      I buy loads of grow bags and compost for them too.

Comment

I love the free entertainment they lay on at Lidl...I take the kids to wath the wresteling on thurday, Its normally the big plain closed strore detective and the unwashed poet lookalike, Some times they have a decathalon when tey chase each other round the store.
                        My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

We have wrestling in our local Lidl too NOG. The other week when I was in it was loads of burly blokes in wellies fighting over the fishing gear first thing Thursday morning. I get lots of garden bargains in there but the only thing I would say is the seeds are a bit hit & miss but at their prices you can't really argue.
                          Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X