Genetically modified potatoes 'resist late blight

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Genetically modified potatoes 'resist late blight

Although this only uses various potato DNA , wild &cultivated,it is able to be combined in ways that could not possibly occur naturally, when I'm peeling my spuds and picking out the eyes I don't want them blinking at me.Seriously though where animal DNA is spliced into crops where does this leave vegetarians if in the future all crops are GM.profiteering aside are you sure you know what's being spliced into your new GM crop or even if the true origins of the material are listed

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum
    Last edited by snakeshack; 20-02-2014, 07:28 AM.
    don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
    remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Just a note - Directly consumed GM foods have to be marked as such, indirect foods (e.g. food fed to animals that are then eaten) do not.

In the EU, if a food contains or consists of genetically modified organisms (GMOs), or contains ingredients produced from GMOs, this must be indicated on the label. For GM products sold 'loose', information must be displayed immediately next to the food to indicate that it is GM.

On 18 April 2004, new rules for GM labelling came into force in all EU Member States.

The GM Food and Feed Regulation (EC) No. 1829/2003 lays down rules to cover all GM food and animal feed, regardless of the presence of any GM material in the final product.

This means products such as flour, oils and glucose syrups have to be labelled as GM if they are from a GM source.

Products produced with GM technology (cheese produced with GM enzymes, for example) do not have to be labelled.

Products such as meat, milk and eggs from animals fed on GM animal feed also do not need to be labelled. Details on the labelling rules can be found on the table below.

Any intentional use of GM ingredients at any level must be labelled. However, the Food and Feed Regulation provides for a threshold for the adventitious, or accidental, presence of GM material in non-GM food or feed sources. This threshold is set at 0.9% and only applies to GMOs that have an EU authorisation. The temporary threshold of 0.5% for the presence of GM material not yet authorised, but that had a favourable assessment from an EU scientific committee, expired in April 2007. This means that such unauthorised GM material cannot be present at any level.

Comment

I fear that the flood gates are open or at least badly leaking, unscupulous people will incorporate GM food and not label it, that you can bet on. It would appear we have no control on what we eat other than growing your own and if the country becomes infested with GM infected plants even your own garden will eventualy be at risk. Thats the nature of this, time was you could choose what to eat and where it came from.
        photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

The mention of animal genes being crossed with veg keeps appearing yet I've not read anything to support this. All I see at the moment is 2 varieties of potato being GM'd to produce a blight resistant variety. For me, that can only be for the good.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
            The mention of animal genes being crossed with veg keeps appearing yet I've not read anything to support this. All I see at the moment is 2 varieties of potato being GM'd to produce a blight resistant variety. For me, that can only be for the good.
            It is also worth noting that a good number of the "animal genes" can also appear in bacteria, fungi and plants. Luciferase was a common marker used for genetically modifying (They are the enzyme used in bio-luminescence) and appear in insects, sea creatures, plankton & bacteria.

In the majority of cases the target gene that you would want to add would be from another plant gene as it is an attribute of that plant you wish to impart on the target plant.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
              Quite a few of us have been growing Blue OSU tomatoes (now marketed as Indigo Rose).
              "Researchers at Oregon State University have produced blue tomatoes using conventional breeding techniques, cross-pollinating domestic tomatoes with wild varieties that exhibit the "Anthocyanin fruit" (Aft) gene." Blue tomato - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OSU researchers add potential health benefits to tomatoes | Extension and Agricultural Research News

Is this genetic modification?
              Is this the same as has happened with this "GM" potato?

As has already been said, we're not talking potato x mouse but potato x potato, or tomato x tomato.

I say all this as I'm basically anti-GM but I've grown BlueOSU not even thinking that it was genetically modified

I don't think you need to worry VC, everything I've read about these, OSU Blue, Indigo Rose and many other 'Blue' or Anthocyinin varieties now available are that they are naturally bred and do not have GM genes. Some of the domestic tomato's wild relatives look very much like tomatoes and will breed with them.

OSU Blue was an early, unofficial and unstable release from the university which was not meant to have happened. Indigo Rose on the other hand was fully developed at OSU and although similar to OSU Blue it is not the same variety.
              Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

I grow stuff because it tastes nice. Taste seems to be taking a back seat once again in favour of productivity!

I am quite partial to baked tatties with tuna in them though, although I'd rather add the tuna AFTER the tattie was baked
                Last edited by Snadger; 20-02-2014, 04:39 PM.
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                  I am quite partial to baked tatties with tuna in them though, although I'd rather add the tuna AFTER the tattie was baked
                  I take it you'll be having Tuna on toast if your crop succumbs to blight...........
                  Last edited by Bigmallly; 20-02-2014, 05:13 PM.
                  sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                  -----------------------------------------------------------
                  KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I take it you'll be having Tuna on toast if your crop succumbs to blight...........
                    Monsanto or suchlike would have you believe you need to have your wheat GM'd to have a surity of toast!
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X