No announcement yet.

The ongoing fight against slugs !!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was out early this morning, after the overnight rain, walking heavily up and down the garden path to squash all the tiny thin black slugs that were still out and about. I'm never sure if they are a breed in their own right, or babies of big black slugs, 'cos I never see big black 'uns.
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Comment

There are quite a few sorts of slugs... Identification Guide | SlugWatch
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Interesting link Penellype. I've always found this leopard slug quite attractive. We seem to have a lot of them in the garden but I didn't realise they're gardeners' friends. I never use pellets, but haven't noticed any slug damage since early spring - maybe the leopard slugs have eaten them all.
        Leopard Slug | SlugWatch

Comment

after getting advice on the vine I covered my cabbages with fine net curtains from Ikea cost £7.00 I used some old blue plastic? water pipe to form a cage and I soak the ground every six weeks or so with a dilution of home made nematodes - every slug and snail gets chucked into a bucket with some water and vegetation added and when I need it this is strained into a watering can topped up and sprinkled over the ground, I still have had some damage from snails but no butterfly damage
          it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post
            after getting advice on the vine I covered my cabbages with fine net curtains from Ikea cost £7.00 I used some old blue plastic? water pipe to form a cage and I soak the ground every six weeks or so with a dilution of home made nematodes - every slug and snail gets chucked into a bucket with some water and vegetation added and when I need it this is strained into a watering can topped up and sprinkled over the ground, I still have had some damage from snails but no butterfly damage
            Netting isn't meant to help with slugs and snails but is great for caterpillars and pigeons.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Brilliant thanks for the advice everyone :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

Organic slug pellets

they love 'em
                Attached Files
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X