No announcement yet.

Planting a tomato hanging basket

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry Bill but I agree Rusty I grew them once and found them tasteless, maybe just my palette of course.

Still its not a problem where you live pop into Suttons and get some Tumbler seed code 18-23-63.

Potty
    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

You see I think Tumbler are even more tasteless, my vote is for Maskotka, they're a bit bigger fruit but work well in hanging baskets and have much more flavour. Open pollinated too so easy to save

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
        Sorry Bill but I agree Rusty I grew them once and found them tasteless, maybe just my palette of course.

Still its not a problem where you live pop into Suttons and get some Tumbler seed code 18-23-63.

Potty
        Yes I will do that, no point growing tasteless tomatoes, I can buy them from the co-op.
        photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

But Bill, Thompson and Morgan describe them as "delicious deep red cherry sized fruits" - surely they wouldn't lie to us?

The T&M website also says that Gartenperle have a spread of 12" - given that my basket is 16", should I stick to 1 plant per basket or can I put 2 in? The Telegraph website says they have an eventual spread of 0.6 m (which is about 23") and to put 1 plant in a 14" basket, so I'm a bit confused!

Comment

Originally posted by IndigoElectron View Post
            But Bill, Thompson and Morgan describe them as "delicious deep red cherry sized fruits" - surely they wouldn't lie to us?

The T&M website also says that Gartenperle have a spread of 12" - given that my basket is 16", should I stick to 1 plant per basket or can I put 2 in? The Telegraph website says they have an eventual spread of 0.6 m (which is about 23") and to put 1 plant in a 14" basket, so I'm a bit confused!
            Lol, IMO both are rubbish tasting and as I said above Maskotka gets my vote, they're really good. Think T&M sell them too but I've been saving them for years so don't have the original packet anymore. Re numbers in the basket, you can put two in but you won't necessarily get more fruit than from a single plant as they will compete for food and water. Why don't you experiment with two baskets and see what works for you.

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Oh Jesus, now where do I stand! I better grow all three i think.
              photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Bill, I have the seeds so think I might as well try the Gartenperle. From searching on the Internet, some people like them and some don't. If I don't like them then I'll just use them for roasting or for sauces, and I won't grow them next year. Like you say, they can't be any worse than supermarket tomatoes!

Comment

Thanks Alison. That's a good idea about experimenting, why didn't I think of that?

Comment

Tiny Tim are nice as well.....sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum
                    don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
                    remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

One of the reasons there are now so many tomato varieties is simply we all have different tastes.

The only true way to find a tomato you like is to grow and try them all. Should be a good few years of fun at least.

I for instance do not like Tumbler Tom, to me they are insipid. They were brought in as a make do when the original Tumbler which I like went of the market a few years back. Glad to say they brought it back by popular request.

Potty
                      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Ho Hum, I've bought Tumbling Tom to try and grow on my fence - in 6 inch pots. This could be pushing the boundaries of cramming everything into tiny spaces just a little bit too far!

I will report back later.
                        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I'm not sure if 100's and 1000's seeds are still available but they're good in baskets, tasty too although the tomatoes are small they are good for snacking on each time you pass. Rambling Gold stripe is great for pots and baskets, productive and good tomato taste eaten fresh or cooked, pretty too. Red Rambling is not nice!

Penellype, if you only have space for tomatoes in a 6" pot, something like one of the Sweet and Neat varieties, or Micro Tom, Tiny Tim might be happier growing in the space.
                          Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

Whoops, I was going to try and stick three or four cherry tomato plants (Vilma) in one 14" hanging basket! But after reading this thread I might not. Since I already have seven seedlings happily growing away in pots I guess I'm just going to have to buy myself some more hanging baskets.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X