Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do plots get so bad before people give up?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've had:

- someone who signed up, got key. Went away. Never came back.
    - someone who signed up, covered it all in weed fabric and did a tiny bit, and has slowly progressed.
    - someone who signed up, bought a lorry tarp on, and did a tiny bit and left.
    - someone who came, dug a bit and then never really came again with the intention of doing work and then left.
    - someone who came did a tiny bit. Went away. Did nothing for months, got a letter. Came back did a bit more. Went away. Did nothing for months, got a letter. Came back did a bit more. Went away..

I know some rules allow for 25% cultivation in the first year ect but I think that just makes some people think that's what they should aim for.

I also think if people used a lot more 'no dig' they'd find things easier. Even just covering the ground means the place looks more cared for and less daunting than something completely covered in weeds.

Comment

Originally posted by alldigging View Post
      I know some rules allow for 25% cultivation in the first year ect but I think that just makes some people think that's what they should aim for.
      I've see something along the lines of the "Go for 25% in first year" advice given on forums over the years, and I just bite my lip and think that folk who are hale and hearty, and assuming it isn't the middle of summer and the ground rock hard, ought to be able to convert a plot into productive ground without a great deal of difficulty. Dunno if allotment sites generally help Newbies? - e.g. by rotavating the plot or whatever. In my village there is a large area allocated for allotments, and once upon a time a lot were in use, but now only one corner of the site is used, and probably only a dozen plots used (by a very competitive bunch of old timers, so significant competition for Best and Biggest goes on ). Unused plots have been advertised in the local town - no takers. Local farmer is willing to use heavy machinery to convert unused plots into serviceable condition (the waste ground is controlled by mowing etc. so its not a forest of brambles). Still no takers.

As a result most of the unused area has been converted into bike adventure trails for the kids to stop then using their energies more destructively!
      K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

For us on our site it was raw field that had just been leveled. So no previous cultivation. Once a plot has been worked over it is really easy if you just get stuck in and spend the hours on it.

On sites where there are long eager waiting lists it would make sense to be harder with people and actually get them to put the hours in or get off. A bit mean for anyone who only has a limited amount of time but allotments do need regular time and attention.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X