No announcement yet.

Mangetout! Mangetout!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh yes I see your point! The Which article actually says that as mange tout pods are eaten very young, the larvae may not have had time to get in there so go for it! Sneaking off to the greenhouse now to sow mine (don't tell my boss)

Comment

Yes, the article also said about late sowings, is that a good idea?

"Q Can it be avoided?
      A When peas flower before mid-June they escape attack, as pods will be past the vulnerable stage by the time the moth is on the wing. Sowing in October and November under cloches, or in pots indoors in January and February and outdoors until mid-March, will avoid the moth. You’ll need to use a fast-growing early variety such as ‘Daybreak’, ‘Holiday’ or ‘Douce Provence’, though. Early sowings outdoors can rot in the ground. Covering the sowings with fleece will help them survive.
      Sowings after the middle of May will be in flower too late for the moth to infest them. Since these late peas can get mildew, use a mildew-resistant variety like ‘Cavalier’ or ‘Top Pod’."

You better let us know who your boss is so we don't accidentally tell them! ;-)
      Last edited by smallblueplanet; 03-04-2006, 01:44 PM.
      To see a world in a grain of sand
      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I am going to try a late sowing this year but if the peas have maggots in them then I give up. No more fresh peas.
        [

Comment

I'm going to try growing Oregan Sugar Pod from T&M but this is a first attempt! It looks like the only thing you can do is use a pheromone trap so at least you know when the male moths are present and can start examining your pods closely.....
          My boss is 250 miles away so shouldn't be a problem - the joys of working from home!

Comment

Originally posted by Bugeyes
            Pea moth larvae are a valuable source of protein I've heard!
            would they be classed as organic and free range?

Comment

We did a lae sowing of Hurst greenshaft last year, they all said it wouldn't work on our site but they were wrong ! I think it was more down to the good summer rather than the skill of the grower. They did get a bit of mildew towards the end but it was end of september I think! My wife enjoyed th e1 boiling I brought home and said it was a shame we didn't have any more ... little does she know we did & I ate them
              ntg
              Never be afraid to try something new.
              Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
              A large group of professionals built the Titanic
              ==================================================

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X