Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where was my predicted 3c!!???

MY thermometer dipped to -1.2c

Luckily I did a midnight dash down the garden (in just pants) with my bubble wrap to cover the broadies and peas..they look ok today,the soil under the wrap wasn't frozen but i'll keep a watch on them. fingers crossed.
    <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

Had a light frost here the last few nights. Pretty sure we'll have frost again tonight too. Saw some new growth on our lavender today, so I'm guessing the continued cold isn't hurting it too much. Which for me is a miracle. Usually the only thing that survives the winter in my garden is my Mum's triffid of a fuchsia.

Comment

Worth keeping an eye on your location weather forecasts this week. Snow and heavy frosts and ice have all been mentioned quite a look for the next wee while

Comment

Well after all the frosty weather my peas and beans are still growing away out in the open ground, I didn't know whether they would make it or not but they're looking really healthy.
          The garlic has been since last November and the stems have thickened up considerably. Looks like I might get a good crop from this year.

And when your back stops aching,
          And your hands begin to harden.
          You will find yourself a partner,
          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Heads up for next week - the temperatures look set to fall considerably especially at night from around 1st May. You can keep an eye on the forecast low for your region (these are city temperatures - rural areas are likely to be colder) on this page weather model gfs - united kingdom - temperature low (2m) [base + 6] - weatheronline - hover over the numbers at the top to see forecasts for a particular time.

The currently forecast temperatures almost everywhere are low enough to damage crops like potatoes, strawberry blossoms, apple and pear blossoms, and anything that is half hardy, and you might like to check that you have sufficient fleece, bubble wrap or cloches to cover anything vulnerable.

Since the start of the year temperatures have been averaging about 2 degrees C above normal, and the plunge to somewhat below normal is going to be quite a shock.
            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Just to add - the weather models are definitely converging on a cooler period, from the turn of the month onwards - this change should start to appear on the TV weather forecasts soon. Expect a few days of north-easterly breezes, and night-time temperatures close to freezing in the more rural parts of the UK.
              Last edited by Ninetrees; 28-04-2014, 09:52 PM.
              Take a look at my blog too

Comment

Radio 4 this morning played it down. They said chance of frost fri and sat bit warming up again for Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum
                Sanity is for those with no grasp of reality

Comment

Well, they have been known to be wrong on the odd occasion, so I'm not panicikng just yet.

It would be ironic though if it does come to pass. Only one frost here all winter - and that was nothing to write home about - and to then get walloped by one on the cusp of May! ....
                  Last edited by Knight of Albion; 29-04-2014, 08:04 AM.
                  Pain is still pain, suffering is still suffering, regardless of whoever, or whatever, is the victim.
                  Everything is worthy of kindness.

http://thegentlebrethren.wordpress.com

Comment

Mind you, it does just show you how perilous agriculture and food supply could become if the prophecized weather fluctuations of 'climate change' do kick in....
                    Pain is still pain, suffering is still suffering, regardless of whoever, or whatever, is the victim.
                    Everything is worthy of kindness.

http://thegentlebrethren.wordpress.com

Comment

Just looking at our temps for the next 4/5 day...nights. Going to a horsey comp that is at a higher elevation. Tis some wet stuff forecast - falling as snow above...But shouldn't have to break out the snow chains for the nag. He's going to feel pretty left out tho with all the horses from the coast wearing 2 and 3 rugs and him in his fur.
                      Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

The latest runs of the models have damped it down a bit, with Friday night now looking likely to be the worst, but it is still a few days away and things could change. There is little doubt that temperatures are going to fall for the weekend, the question is simply how far. I like to err on the side of caution and cover up things like potatoes and strawberry flowers just in case.
                        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I take note of 5 day forecast, but only make decisions based on the 2-day, which is rarely wrong.

I don't waste money buying the Daily Express, so I don't even have to bother ignoring their annual "Hottest/Coldest Summer/Winter for a Generation/100 years/Ever" prediction
                          K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I wouldn't be too worried about this 'cold snap'. Some reassurance from the met office...

Met Office News Blog | Official blog of the Met Office news team

Comment

It depends how much you value your plants. Yes, the daytime temperatures will be pleasantly warm, but that blog post includes the words "air frost" and that should ring alarm bells if you have any tender plants. Better to be safe than sorry!

Comment

Judging by how wrong the forecast has been here for the last couple of days, I'm wondering how seriously to take all this ...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X