No announcement yet.

Frost this weekend!!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't got the hang of our thermometer thingy (stupid, but have just never got Mr C to show me), but when I was outside at 8.15 this morning it didn't feel particularly cold and there was no ice anywhere or frost on the cars that I noticed.
    Is there anything that isn't made better by half an hour pottering in the veg patch?

Comment

-0.3 in my garden last night, with a layer of ice on the growhouse first thing. The thermometer in the growhouse says minimum 6 and the potatoes I covered with fleece seem to have survived the night.
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
        Its 9C outside at the moment. I haven't covered anything up - so hope its stays at 9 for the rest of the night.
        Went down to 6C - I can cope with that - and so can my taties

Comment

No idea what temp the polytunnel was as I still haven't got a thermometer yet, but I went in this morning (after not having been in for 2 days) and the plants that were left out there have all grown. They look great. The berries forming on the strawberry plants have grown too.

It surely couldn't have been that cold out there after all. I expect we were more sheltered than the surrounding areas, the forecast was 2C at best.

Comment

Originally posted by Barking Postlethwaite View Post
            Well the weather site claims it didn't go down below +6C last night, but I can see the windscreens of the cars opposite are slightly icy and there is the merest hint of frost on the roof even if I can't see any on the garden or fields (I'm not mug enough / keen enough to go outside and check at 6am).
            You could have a look at the Wundmap on Wunderground.

WunderMap® | Interactive Weather Map and Radar | Weather Underground

Drag / zoom the map for your vicinity, then click the Date & Time in the footer, and select the time (say 2AM) of interest. The little flags showing the temperature, and wind direction/strength, will change to show you how-it-was at that time. (You might find it doesn't change on the first selection, so e.g. change to 1AM and then change to 2AM - looks like a bug to me, but maybe its just in my browser)

If you like you can select a time period, say 4 or 5 hours, then press the [X] to close the selection box, and then press the PLAY button (bottom left of the footer) and you will see the time-line move from 2AM to 6AM and the little flags will change to show how the temperature fluctuated during the period.

Chipping Norton / Evesham (is that West Wiltshire? ...) was 1-2C at 5AM-ish ...

Originally posted by MrsCordial View Post
            I haven't got the hang of our thermometer thingy (stupid, but have just never got Mr C to show me), but when I was outside at 8.15 this morning it didn't feel particularly cold and there was no ice anywhere or frost on the cars that I noticed.
            ... and Hereford (Worcester - is that about right?) looks to have been coldest around 5-6am at 1C - 2C

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
            about 399 people told me there'd be a frost last night
            I love the accuracy of the figure, yet so ambiguously stated

Anyway: I've told you a million times not to exaggerate
            K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I agree 110%!

Comment

Originally posted by Raybon View Post
                I agree 110%!
                Hehehehe

My daughter, when aged about 8, came home from school bubbling over that she had done really well in school exams. Asked about her marks she reeled them all off culminating with "And I got 137% in ... Maths"

Fell about laughing about that WITH her then maths teacher
                K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

It got down to 3 degrees last night, hopefully my covering attempts kept any ground frost off my potatoes.

I'm going to assume I'm done with frosts for this year now, so if we get one in a couple of weeks it's going to be carnage.
                  My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                  Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Grapevine crop for 2014 bit the dust!
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Sorry to hear that Snadge............How's the Peach tree doing this year?
                      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                      -----------------------------------------------------------
                      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                        Grapevine crop for 2014 bit the dust!
                        That's bad news, sorry mate.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X